Drying Bananas

Banana chips are a delicious healthy snack that both adults and children enjoy. Drying bananas is an easy process. This is a guide about drying bananas.

December 4, 2012 Flag

During the summer months, I enjoy eating frozen bananas, but now that it has turned cold, I have a new craving and it's for dehydrated bananas. They are so good, I have to watch myself and remember that 28 pieces is a whole banana. I don't put anything on the bananas, I just peel them, cut them, and put them in the dehydrator.

The first batch of bananas I dehydrated stuck really badly and it was so hard to get them loose from the tray. It was a mess. So, for the next batch I dehydrated, I stacked them in circles so only one edge is touching the tray. This method worked much better.

When they begin to get dry, I run a pancake spatula around the tray under the bananas and they come up with no problem. During the drying process, I turn them over and alternate the stacking of the trays, putting the bottom trays on top and the top trays on the bottom.

It takes 5 to 10 hours to dry a batch of bananas. It depends on how many you put in the dehydrator. I'm new at this and still learning. Dehydrated bananas and nuts make a great snack.

Total Time: 5-8 hours

Cool! I got a dehydrator for Christmas and had yet to figure out the first thing to do with it - it might be this!

One of my favorite receipes for dehydrated bananas is to cut them up as usual in slices or chunks, dip them in thawed out frozen juice concentrate, (orange or pineapple works great) and then roll in unsweetened coconut flakes. Good project for kids to help with, these are pretty sweet but much healthier than candy. Consider brushing the rack with a little vegtable oil to keep them from sticking, or turn part way through the drying process.

I am just beginning to dehydrate food at home. I am glad to see bananas. A few years ago I was eating a lot of dried fruit purchased from the store. I loved the dried bananas. After eating way too many I decided to check the ingredients (thinking they were high in sugar). I was shocked to discover they were 70% trans fat. Needless to say I stopped eating them. So I am glad to find an alternative.

I tried my dehydrated bananas in a bowl of oatmeal. After I fill my bowl, I add the bananas. They soften up and I love the taste.

July 31, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a home made recipe to dry banana slices. Please can you help?

Sharlene from South Africa

Best Answer

You will need a dehydrator. Even though they sound expensive it is a good investment because you can dry all sorts of fruits and veggies and the dehydrator will last for a lifetime. Here is the one I like and comes complete with recipe instructions (including how to keep certain fruits and vegetables from turning brown). http://www.hillmark.com.au/products ... s/ezidri_classic_everyday_dehydrator

The company does sell larger units if you are interested in drying mega amounts :-)

Best Answer

6 firm, fresh, ripe bananas

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup wheat germ or coconut (optional)

Peel and slice bananas.

Dip in lemon juice.

Arrange on greased cookie sheet in a single layer.

Bake at 175 degrees F for 2-3 hours or until golden.

(They can be dried until they are crisp.)

Cool completely before storing.

Package in glass jars, tins, or reclosable bags.

I slice ripe bananas quarter inch thick and place them on drying trays of a small food dryer that cost about $30 US. You can make your own food dryer using a box of your choosing, light bulbs and a small fan or make a solar dryer with just thermal air flow. http://ecobites.com/diy-recycling-p ... seedling-raiser-food-dehydrator.html is a good site for info or just Google "DIY food dryers"

Keep in mind that commercially made 'dried' bananas are actually fried. Check the label for fat content, and you already know that there's no fat in a banana!

Food and Recipes DryingAugust 18, 2011
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
Dried Carrots
Drying Vegetables