Drying Bananas

Category Drying
Banana chips are a delicious healthy snack that both adults and children enjoy. Drying bananas is an easy process. This is a guide about drying bananas.

During the summer months, I enjoy eating frozen bananas, but now that it has turned cold, I have a new craving and it's for dehydrated bananas. They are so good, I have to watch myself and remember that 28 pieces is a whole banana. I don't put anything on the bananas, I just peel them, cut them, and put them in the dehydrator.

The first batch of bananas I dehydrated stuck really badly and it was so hard to get them loose from the tray. It was a mess. So, for the next batch I dehydrated, I stacked them in circles so only one edge is touching the tray. This method worked much better.

When they begin to get dry, I run a pancake spatula around the tray under the bananas and they come up with no problem. During the drying process, I turn them over and alternate the stacking of the trays, putting the bottom trays on top and the top trays on the bottom.

It takes 5 to 10 hours to dry a batch of bananas. It depends on how many you put in the dehydrator. I'm new at this and still learning. Dehydrated bananas and nuts make a great snack.

Total Time: 5-8 hours

I am just beginning to dehydrate food at home. I am glad to see bananas. A few years ago I was eating a lot of dried fruit purchased from the store. I loved the dried bananas. After eating way too many I decided to check the ingredients (thinking they were high in sugar). I was shocked to discover they were 70% trans fat. Needless to say I stopped eating them. So I am glad to find an alternative.

I am looking for a home made recipe to dry banana slices. Please can you help?

Sharlene from South Africa

Anonymous
Best Answer

You will need a dehydrator. Even though they sound expensive it is a good investment because you can dry all sorts of fruits and veggies and the dehydrator will last for a lifetime. Here is the one I like and comes complete with recipe instructions (including how to keep certain fruits and vegetables from turning brown). http://www.hill  ryday_dehydrator

The company does sell larger units if you are interested in drying mega amounts :-)

Best Answer

6 firm, fresh, ripe bananas

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup wheat germ or coconut (optional)

Peel and slice bananas.

Dip in lemon juice.

Arrange on greased cookie sheet in a single layer.

Bake at 175 degrees F for 2-3 hours or until golden.

(They can be dried until they are crisp.)

Cool completely before storing.

Package in glass jars, tins, or reclosable bags.

http://www.uaex  ried_Bananas.pdf

You can also use your oven at 250 degrees F, as long as you watch it and just keep an eye on it. My mom puts them in her microwave oven on 30% power for very strong ones and 50% for weak ones and just runs it for 5 to 10 minutes or until they get hard and dry. You can do it with any fruit that can be dried. Just wanted to put this out there. We do it all the time.

I slice ripe bananas quarter inch thick and place them on drying trays of a small food dryer that cost about $30 US. You can make your own food dryer using a box of your choosing, light bulbs and a small fan or make a solar dryer with just thermal air flow. http://ecobites  -dehydrator.html is a good site for info or just Google "DIY food dryers"

Keep in mind that commercially made 'dried' bananas are actually fried. Check the label for fat content, and you already know that there's no fat in a banana!

i dont have a drying machine how can i dry them.