Drying Bananas

Banana chips are a delicious healthy snack that both adults and children enjoy. Drying bananas is an easy process. This is a guide about drying bananas.

Dried Bananas
Filter Sort

Tip: Dehydrated Bananas

By Litter Gitter 155 568

During the summer months, I enjoy eating frozen bananas, but now that it has turned cold, I have a new craving and it's for dehydrated bananas. They are so good, I have to watch myself and remember that 28 pieces is a whole banana. I don't put anything on the bananas, I just peel them, cut them, and put them in the dehydrator.

The first batch of bananas I dehydrated stuck really badly and it was so hard to get them loose from the tray. It was a mess. So, for the next batch I dehydrated, I stacked them in circles so only one edge is touching the tray. This method worked much better.

When they begin to get dry, I run a pancake spatula around the tray under the bananas and they come up with no problem. During the drying process, I turn them over and alternate the stacking of the trays, putting the bottom trays on top and the top trays on the bottom.

It takes 5 to 10 hours to dry a batch of bananas. It depends on how many you put in the dehydrator. I'm new at this and still learning. Dehydrated bananas and nuts make a great snack.

Banana slices on dehydrator tray.

Approximate Time: 5-8 hours

Dehydrated banana slices and nuts.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Drying Banana Slices

By sharlene 1

I am looking for a home made recipe to dry banana slices. Please can you help?

Sharlene from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

thr522587 Flag

You will need a dehydrator. Even though they sound expensive it is a good investment because you can dry all sorts of fruits and veggies and the dehydrator will last for a lifetime. Here is the one I like and comes complete with recipe instructions (including how to keep certain fruits and vegetables from turning brown). http://www.hillmark.com.au/products ... s/ezidri_classic_everyday_dehydrator

The company does sell larger units if you are interested in drying mega amounts :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 28 Flag

6 firm, fresh, ripe bananas

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup wheat germ or coconut (optional)

Peel and slice bananas.

Dip in lemon juice.

Arrange on greased cookie sheet in a single layer.

Bake at 175 degrees F for 2-3 hours or until golden.

(They can be dried until they are crisp.)

Cool completely before storing.

Package in glass jars, tins, or reclosable bags.

http://www.uaex.edu/depts/FCS/EFNEP/recipes/Desserts/Dried_Bananas.pdf

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes DryingAugust 18, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
    Drying Oranges
    A pile of dried apple slices.
    Drying Apples
    A banana on ice.
    Freezing Bananas
    Dried Carrots
    Drying Vegetables
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:19:30 PM on 10.0.1.152 in 906 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings