Drying Bananas

Banana chips are a delicious healthy snack that both adults and children enjoy. Drying bananas is an easy process. This is a guide about drying bananas.

Dried Bananas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

During the summer months, I enjoy eating frozen bananas, but now that it has turned cold, I have a new craving and it's for dehydrated bananas. They are so good, I have to watch myself and remember that 28 pieces is a whole banana. I don't put anything on the bananas, I just peel them, cut them, and put them in the dehydrator.

The first batch of bananas I dehydrated stuck really badly and it was so hard to get them loose from the tray. It was a mess. So, for the next batch I dehydrated, I stacked them in circles so only one edge is touching the tray. This method worked much better.

When they begin to get dry, I run a pancake spatula around the tray under the bananas and they come up with no problem. During the drying process, I turn them over and alternate the stacking of the trays, putting the bottom trays on top and the top trays on the bottom.

It takes 5 to 10 hours to dry a batch of bananas. It depends on how many you put in the dehydrator. I'm new at this and still learning. Dehydrated bananas and nuts make a great snack.

Banana slices on dehydrator tray.

Approximate Time: 5-8 hours

Dehydrated banana slices and nuts.
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a home made recipe to dry banana slices. Please can you help?

Sharlene from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

You will need a dehydrator. Even though they sound expensive it is a good investment because you can dry all sorts of fruits and veggies and the dehydrator will last for a lifetime. Here is the one I like and comes complete with recipe instructions (including how to keep certain fruits and vegetables from turning brown). http://www.hillmark.com.au/products ... s/ezidri_classic_everyday_dehydrator

The company does sell larger units if you are interested in drying mega amounts :-)

Best Answer

6 firm, fresh, ripe bananas

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup wheat germ or coconut (optional)

Peel and slice bananas.

Dip in lemon juice.

Arrange on greased cookie sheet in a single layer.

Bake at 175 degrees F for 2-3 hours or until golden.

(They can be dried until they are crisp.)

Cool completely before storing.

Package in glass jars, tins, or reclosable bags.

http://www.uaex.edu/depts/FCS/EFNEP/recipes/Desserts/Dried_Bananas.pdf

Read More Answers...
    Food and Recipes DryingAugust 18, 2011
    Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
    Drying Oranges
    A pile of dried apple slices.
    Drying Apples
    A banana on ice.
    Freezing Bananas
    Dried Carrots
    Drying Vegetables
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 4:57:54 PM on 10.0.0.78 in 661 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.