Eastern Bluebird Photos and Information

Category Wildlife
Eastern Bluebird
The eastern bluebird, a member of the thrush family, is most often seen in open woodland areas. This is a guide about Eastern bluebird photos and information.

Q: Does anyone have any hints on attracting eastern bluebirds to the yard? They are the prettiest birds, but are seldom seen in the area where I live.

Thanks for all replies!
P.J. from Delaware

A: P.J.,

According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Eastern Bluebird populations have been declining in recent years to as low as 17 percent of their previous numbers in the late 50s and 60s. The reasons include competition for nesting, pesticide use and harsh winters. The good news is that their numbers are on the rise in several parts of the country. These birds tend to prefer the country or the suburbs to a noisy city environment, but if you think your backyard is quiet enough, here are some things to try and attract those that may be in the area.

The natural nesting place of Eastern Bluebirds is in tree cavities, especially those hollowed out by woodpeckers. They prefer to have a roof over their heads for nesting, so constructing a few bluebird houses would be a good way to start (there are many free easy-to-make patterns on the web). The Eastern Bluebird's preferred habitat is an open area with short grass and a few trees (this is also the preferred habitat of the House Wren and the House Sparrow, both of which can easily out compete the Eastern for nesting sites). Their diet consists of around 70% of invertebrates-they especially love meal worms. They also enjoy fleshy fruits and berries. Their insect diets make them primarily "drop-down" or ground feeders so a great way to attract them is with a platform feeders. A platform of mealworms (cheaply available at most pet stores and stay fresh in the fridge) and another of chopped up bits of dried fruit and peanuts is likely to prove irresistible. Eastern bluebirds are also attracted to moving and splashing water they can hear from a distance, like a water fall or small fountain.

Good luck!

Ellen

There are several websites that offer tips on attracting the Eastern Bluebird. The main idea is to offer them food, water, and shelter.

'The March return of the Eastern Bluebird is a true sign that spring has arrived. If you live near a field, or any open area including yards, roadsides and even cemeteries, which contains a mix of open spaces and trees, you have a very good chance of attracting a nesting pair to your property.

Eastern Bluebirds originally nested in tree cavities, but suburban growth has dictated the removal of "snags" or dead-limb trees, reducing native nesting habitat.'

(If you don't have the tree cavities available, get or make them a suitable bird house.)

'Eastern Bluebirds are primarily insectivores, ingesting spiders, mealworms, millipedes, caterpillars and other delectable lawn bugs. It is vital to the ongoing health of the bluebird population to provide a pesticide- or chemical-free yard.

During the early spring and late fall, when insects are less plentiful, the bluebirds will dine on sumac seeds and honeysuckle, as well as several types of berries and grapes. They also have been attracted to feeders using nut meats, suet and raisins.

Many people have success attracting bluebirds to specific insectivore feeders.' (info from: http://www.wild  ct_bluebirds.asp )

A blueprint for a homemade bluebird nesting box is at: http://members.  nestboxplans.jpg

other useful links:

http://herper.t  com/index-3.html

http://massbluebird.org/id3.html

http://www.shaw  ng_bluebirds.htm

Good luck!

Sabrina

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is a Pennsylvania Bluebird. He looks so smart and independent way high on top of my Apricot tree. A quick grabbing of my camera caught the great photo. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

By Barb from Summerhill, PA

Comment Like this photo? 16

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I did , Thanks for sharing. GG Vi

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Great shot! Looks like something out of a magazine!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Love it, wish I could see that in my backyard!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I love bluebirds and envy you Barb. We don't have many (if any) bluebirds in Florida. We've seen just a very few of them passing through, and they'd be so welcome should they ever decide to stay.

We do have some magnificent big woodpeckers here though, and many, many lovely cardinals as well as all the big beautiful water birds. Thank you for sharing your bluebird with us. You are a really gifted photographer.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Reply Like this photo? Yes

While visiting the Antietum Battlefield I was watching a bird in a harvested cornfield and was able to capture it in a picture. To my surprise it was an Eastern Bluebird. I think it turned out to be a very nice scene.

By Cindy

Comment Like this photo? 27
Anonymous

I absolutely love this photo!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a beautiful contrast with the bird against the field.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This is a bluebird that has been coming to our house for years. At first we thought a few of them were coming around, but when we noticed this one had broken it's beak off, we realized it was the same one day after day (as it is quite the unique character)! Watching it eat is just amazing. Of course there is no pecking involved, only slow gentle movements as if it were a human being.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Bluebird with broken beak.

Comment Like this photo? 15

What an amazing bird. So pretty too. I feel so badly that it doesn't have a beak to break up it's food. You might try putting some parakeet "gravel" mixed into the feed to help it's "gullet" to churn up the food to smaller particles; much like chewing. Anyway, enjoy your gorgeous little fellow. God Bless You All and Merry Christmas. Happy New Year too!

Deborah in Maine

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a gorgeous little bird! It's both amazing and wonderful that it's found a way to survive in nature without a beak! A few years back, I had a chicken with a crooked beak. She was born that way and my husband and I would hand feed her her food. She would scoop mouthfuls from our hand, then tip her head way back and begin to chew and swallow. I was so sad when she disappeared.

She was my precious little friend! I used to laugh out loud when she'd fly at a visitor and they'd scream... She was very friendly. She'd fly to your shoulder to sit down and hang out. This would freak out guests because (1) they didn't know she just wanted to say hi and (2) she really did look scary flying at you with that fluffy little head, wide eyes, and crooked beak! Anyway, thank you for sharing and for bringing back good memories. Merry Christmas and God bless!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks for writing! Yes, we feed it tiny, broken up bits of food, parakeet gravel is a great idea! Thank you so much, Deborah, and thanks for sharing your story, Chelle! I would take in every animal in the world if I could! ;) Happy Holidays!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
Although this is not a beautiful photo from a technical standpoint, it captures a sweet moment. During a bout of extreme cold weather, the birds in our yard appreciated our bird bath which is kept thawed by a simple electric de-icer designed for that purpose. This basin was one of the few unfrozen sources of water around, and a family of Eastern Bluebirds came to enjoy it.

Many people consider Bluebirds to be a symbol of Spring, but where I live they stay year-round. The birds know that they have a consistent source of fresh clean water in our yard, whether in the sweltering summer of the freezing cold. I took the image through a foggy window, thus the image quality. Hopefully, what it lacks in photo quality it makes up for by capturing a special moment in time.

Photo Location
Paris, Tennessee

Comment Like this photo? 13

I caught this bluebird posing on a tree in our back yard. He was watching over his little family after he and his mate made their nest in a bird-house nearby.

By Rita S.

Bluebird on Tree

Comment Like this photo? 13