WildlifePhotos

The Unique Bluebird

This is a bluebird that has been coming to our house for years. At first we thought a few of them were coming around, but when we noticed this one had broken it's beak off, we realized it was the same one day after day (as it is quite the unique character)! Watching it eat is just amazing. Of course there is no pecking involved, only slow gentle movements as if it were a human being.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

What an amazing bird. So pretty too. I feel so badly that it doesn't have a beak to break up it's food. You might try putting some parakeet "gravel" mixed into the feed to help it's "gullet" to churn up the food to smaller particles; much like chewing. Anyway, enjoy your gorgeous little fellow. God Bless You All and Merry Christmas. Happy New Year too!

Deborah in Maine

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a gorgeous little bird! It's both amazing and wonderful that it's found a way to survive in nature without a beak! A few years back, I had a chicken with a crooked beak. She was born that way and my husband and I would hand feed her her food. She would scoop mouthfuls from our hand, then tip her head way back and begin to chew and swallow. I was so sad when she disappeared.

She was my precious little friend! I used to laugh out loud when she'd fly at a visitor and they'd scream... She was very friendly. She'd fly to your shoulder to sit down and hang out. This would freak out guests because (1) they didn't know she just wanted to say hi and (2) she really did look scary flying at you with that fluffy little head, wide eyes, and crooked beak! Anyway, thank you for sharing and for bringing back good memories. Merry Christmas and God bless!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks for writing! Yes, we feed it tiny, broken up bits of food, parakeet gravel is a great idea!

Thank you so much, Deborah, and thanks for sharing your story, Chelle! I would take in every animal in the world if I could! ;) Happy Holidays!

Reply Like this photo? Yes