Electronic Key Replacement

By susan 33 441

Who knew it would be so difficult to replace my car keys? Electronic keys are not as simple to replace as other car, home or other keys. If you don't already have a spare, you might want to get one before you need one, I know by experience you do not want to get caught without a key.

What you will need:

A local lock smith could do my key for $60, $40 less than the dealership. The dealership charged $50 for the key and $50 for the programming. This can be reduced if you buy the blank key online.

My key broke as I left church on Sunday. It took all of Monday to get my key. After looking for the best deal, getting a tow, procuring a ride, waiting for the car maker's website to come back online and driving to the dealership. It took me a full day's work to get my key. Learn from my mistake ;-)

Showing: Comments Sort

By Pixiedust7 7 897 Flag

Ace Hardware stores makes electronic keys for about $10-15. I went there with a friend to make a copy of his key, and it turned out his was not electronic, so it only cost $3-4, but if he had needed an electronic key it would have cost only about $10 or so. Try a hardware store that makes keys - it looks like they're much cheaper than a dealer or a locksmith. It also pays to leave a copy with a trusted friend or neighbor; my friend has copies of my keys, and I have copies of his. It has helped us both a couple of times.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I agree that electronic keys are difficult to replace. They also have to be reprogrammed, which is not that difficult if you know how to do it (my son does, and told me, but sadly, I've forgotten!). I think you need the original key to do this. My dealership, because I was good customer, did it for me free of charge.

I also had a regular blank made that will open the door of the car (if you have a keyhole - some don't now), just in case I lock the key and electronic door opener in the car. I can use this key to get in, but not to start the car. It is worth the extra cost to have a spare key or two.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceNovember 14, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
George Foreman Rotisserie Oven
Replacement Parts for George Foreman Rotisserie Oven
Man With Broken Christmas Lights
Finding Replacement Bulbs for Christmas Lights
stainless steel thermos
Replacement Parts for Gott Thermos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 10:18:24 PM on 10.0.2.71 in 973 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings