Energy Usage of a Toaster Oven vs. Conventional Electric Oven

I am throwing around an idea of getting a Brivelle Toaster Oven. Would this be cheaper to run than my electric oven? I use this even for just my self.

I don't really know very much about these newer toaster ovens. I did have one about 40 years ago. The plug got hot, so I stopped using it and put it out for junk. Any help appreciated.

By Joan from Girard, PA

Answers:

Toaster ovens have changed a lot through the years. Ours is about 10 years old and the newer ones now have improved so much since then. Since they only have to heat a small area they would use a lot less energy than a regular oven. Especially if you are just cooking for yourself. They also don't heat the house up in the summer like regular ovens. I don't know about the Breville brand you mentioned, but just looked it up quickly and it looks very nice.

Our last toaster oven did not have a removable crumb tray and I miss that. Also they were made a lot smaller back then and ours does not have the clearance height to cook certain things or in certain baking dishes so take that into consideration.
(02/21/2010)

By Kaelle

A regular oven runs at about 7500 watts and a typical toaster oven runs at about 1500 watts.

Watts is measured in the output or usage in an hour so imagine that a full size electric oven is about the same per hour as running 75 qty 100 watt bulbs. A toaster oven is like running 15 qty 100 watt bulbs in an hour.

If you look at the numbers, that's approximately an 80% savings on electric usage when you use a basic toaster oven. It will vary of course for different products, but if you have smaller items that don't require the space, a toaster oven will save you money in the long run. (02/22/2010)

By COflower

I use my toaster oven quite often. It is much more convenient, the kitchen doesn't get heated up, and according to the other post it saves energy! I would highly recommend it. (My toaster oven is a $30 Farberware and it is great.) (02/25/2010)

By mindy l

You might want to ask at the group, "Kitchen Appliances and Recipes" (KAAR)
http://www.groups.Yahoo.com/group/KitchenAppliancesandRecipes
(02/25/2010)

By Linda :o)

I purchased a toaster oven over a year ago mainly to try and cut down on our utility bill. It is a WalMart brand and was less than $50.00. I use it often for most anything that I would use my regular oven for cooking. Meatloaf, chicken, and especially casseroles. Baked french fries, etc. I tried baking cookies in it and was not pleased with the results. Why heat up the entire kitchen and large oven when the smaller one works fine? Oh yes, it will hold a 12 inch pizza. (02/25/2010)

By banty

Blue Toaster Oven
Using A Toaster Oven
A messy toaster.
Cleaning a Toaster
Cleaning a Toaster Oven
Cleaning a Toaster Oven
Toaster
Removing Bread Stuck in a Toaster
Chocolate chip cookies and milk.
Making Cookies in a Toaster Oven
🎄
🍂