Using A Toaster Oven

Category Kitchen Tools
Electricity can be saved by using a smaller oven. This guide is about using a toaster oven.

To save money on your power bill - use a toaster/convection oven to cook your meals and for your baking whenever possible. Mine will hold an 8x8 pan and has two racks. It keeps the kitchen cool as well.

By Annie

I never thought I had a need for a toaster oven before, but I finally got one. I know my questions will sound stupid to existing users, so please excuse me. When making regular toast on the wire rack, shouldn't both sides brown? Also, a lot of frozen dinners (Hungry Man, for example) list 2 cooking methods, conventional oven and microwave. Is a toaster oven considered to be a conventional oven, and therefore able to cook this frozen dinner? Thanks!

By Lawrence

Answers

Unless you have a heating element on the top and bottom of the toaster oven you would have to turn the bread/toast. I can remember before my folks had electricity on their farm they made toast in the oven and my Mother had to turn it over.

Check the settings on the toaster oven. Sometimes they have a setting just for toast which will utilize both the upper and lower elements to toast both sides.

Redhatterb, my mom used the oven also to make us toast. Many times she would forget it and it would be slightly burned. I grew up with it more burned than not and that is still the way I like my toast.

Lawrence, yes, it would be considered a conventional oven but mine does not bake as well as my regular oven. I make the small pizzas in mine and a few other things. I really like it for certain things.

No question is stupid if an answer is wanted, that said, the use of your oven depends on your particular oven. If it is a larger one and there are heating elements on both top and bottom then the bread should be toasted on both top and bottom. However, the side closer to the heating element will be browned first requiring the bread be turned over when the first side is browned. As for heating frozen dinners, again it depends on your oven. If it has temperature settings then it should be adequate for that. I am able to cook a 12" pizza, bake a pie or casserole, bake bread, or cook any kind of meat requiring an oven. Just experiment and watch closely at first and you will be able to learn just what your appliance is capable of. Good luck to you.

I have a small toaster oven which is fine for cooking chicken, pork chops, meatloaf, or casseroles. It uses less energy than my electric oven. Just make sure the food does not touch the heating element. I use the temperature required for the recipe and just use less time. For two people this works great, and in the summer, who wants to heat their kitchen? I am sure you could go online for recipes, too. It's a great tool!

Which uses less energy, a toaster oven or a regular electric kitchen stove oven?

By Ralph from Del Rio, TX

Answers

A toaster oven uses less.

I am throwing around an idea of getting a Brivelle Toaster Oven. Would this be cheaper to run than my electric oven? I use this even for just my self.

I don't really know very much about these newer toaster ovens. I did have one about 40 years ago. The plug got hot, so I stopped using it and put it out for junk. Any help appreciated.

By Joan from Girard, PA

Answers:

Energy Usage of a Toaster Oven vs. Conventional Electric Oven

Toaster ovens have changed a lot through the years. Ours is about 10 years old and the newer ones now have improved so much since then. Since they only have to heat a small area they would use a lot less energy than a regular oven. Especially if you are just cooking for yourself. They also don't heat the house up in the summer like regular ovens. I don't know about the Breville brand you mentioned, but just looked it up quickly and it looks very nice.

Our last toaster oven did not have a removable crumb tray and I miss that. Also they were made a lot smaller back then and ours does not have the clearance height to cook certain things or in certain baking dishes so take that into consideration.
(02/21/2010)

By Kaelle

A regular oven runs at about 7500 watts and a typical toaster oven runs at about 1500 watts.

Watts is measured in the output or usage in an hour so imagine that a full size electric oven is about the same per hour as running 75 qty 100 watt bulbs. A toaster oven is like running 15 qty 100 watt bulbs in an hour.

If you look at the numbers, that's approximately an 80% savings on electric usage when you use a basic toaster oven. It will vary of course for different products, but if you have smaller items that don't require the space, a toaster oven will save you money in the long run. (02/22/2010)

By COflower

I use my toaster oven quite often. It is much more convenient, the kitchen doesn't get heated up, and according to the other post it saves energy! I would highly recommend it. (My toaster oven is a $30 Farberware and it is great.) (02/25/2010)

By mindy l

You might want to ask at the group, "Kitchen Appliances and Recipes" (KAAR)
http://www.groups.Yahoo.com/group/KitchenAppliancesandRecipes
(02/25/2010)

By Linda :o)

I purchased a toaster oven over a year ago mainly to try and cut down on our utility bill. It is a WalMart brand and was less than $50.00. I use it often for most anything that I would use my regular oven for cooking. Meatloaf, chicken, and especially casseroles. Baked french fries, etc. I tried baking cookies in it and was not pleased with the results. Why heat up the entire kitchen and large oven when the smaller one works fine? Oh yes, it will hold a 12 inch pizza. (02/25/2010)

By banty