Feeding a Cat Soft Food

Some cat owners prefer to feed their cats soft canned cat food rather than dry kibble. This is a guide about feeding a cat soft food.

June 17, 2010 Flag

I saw that it is better to feed a cat homemade or canned food than to give it dry food, since a cat will not drink enough water for it's own health. Probably a better idea might be to mix soft food with dry food or do all soft food.

Also, neutering a male cat too young can lead to problems later in life.

Source: pethealth101.com

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

On neutering: many vets will suggest neutering at around six months of age, since male cats usually become sexually mature between 6-8 months. You can also wait too long to do this, though. According to this info:

http://www.kittencare.com/spay_neuter_males.html

Studies done on a couple of groups of neutered males, some done under 12 months and others a year older and up are showing that having the surgery done on a cat a year old or older can result in a cat with more aggression and also one who's less affectionate.

On the other end of the scale ( under six months): a very long time ago, we rescued a black-and-white tuxedo shorthair male that was four months old when we got him and had been neutered at three months.

Blackbeard grew to be one "manly" looking boy, big-boned and hefty, lovable, and very healthy, with no medical problems to speak of until he peacefully died in his sleep at nearly nineteen years old. In that case, neutering young had no effect on him emotionally or developmentally.

Sources: kittencare.com and peteducation.com ( and personal experience).

Canned does provide more water and less carbohydrates, which can contribute to being overweight. It all depends on the cat. I have 5 with 3 being overweight. To get them down to an acceptable weight, they were switched to canned. I have another who has trouble gaining weight and he is on dry. Everyone is weighed weekly on a baby scale. If weight goes up or down, then diet can be adjusted or a trip to the vet if things don't look right. The one thing I wouldn't suggest is relying only on the canned food to increase hydration. As for having several water bowls around the house, that is probably the best thing you can do to increase water consumption. I tried those "water fountains". It was appealing to one cat, but it didn't make the difference I was expecting. Now that there are 6 water bowls in different areas of the house, everybody is drinking more. Also, each cat has certain bowls they prefer over others. I also read that it helps to vary the type of bowl. Some are large dog bowls one is a small pail, another is a large water station and the last one is an old goldfish bowl. (You should see them drinking out of the goldfish bowl! They love that one!) A lot of it is experimentation. What works for one cat, may not work for another.

I add a little extra water to my 18 year old cat's canned food. It seems to help prevent constipation that she has a tendency to get.

The only one of my 3 males who gets urinary track infections is the one who was neutered at 6 weeks before I got him. Now I rinse out the can as well and pour it into their food and so far it's been a year of good health. I also cook up chicken, strain the fat out of the broth and they love to drink it. Anything to get extra water into them.

June 4, 2008 Flag

For those of us who have cats, you know how cat food sticks to their feeding dish and is hard to scrub away. My tip is to cut the top off an empty laundry jug but leave the jug handle.

December 30, 2010 Flag

I recently rescued a stray cat. He is a beautiful, affectionate cat. He loves canned (wet) cat food, but it seems to give him massive diarrhea. Is there a brand that I can pick up at the grocery store that is safer on their stomachs without breaking my budget at the same time?

Just an FYI, he's been spaded, had all his shots, and is doing well health wise. He only has the diarrhea problem when fed the wet food.

By Lee from VA

Just a suggestion, but perhaps mixing a bit of high fiber, dry food with your cat's preference for canned food might reduce the lose stools. Then again, some cats just can't tolerate canned food. A close relative has tried everything in favor of giving her cat canned food, and her vet finally simply said "no go!"

This is a very pampered cat, but all that love him agreed that canned (wet) food just doesn't work for this guy on a regular basis. No one wants to be the bearer of bad news, but truth be told, this cat is healthier only getting (wet) canned food a few cans at a time a few times a year.. He is a rescue cat that is now nearly ten years old and honestly living the good life.

I wish you much luck, but whether the furs like it or not, restricted diets are often in their best interest. Take care and best wishes!

I work at a pet store and am very familiar with many lines of pet foods. First of all, try to stay away from foods that contain by-products (those are the extras from the slaughter houses, i.e. beaks, feat, etc) Also stay away from corn ingredients. Corn is just a filler and it does not digest easily. Look for something more natural that includes holistic ingredients such as fresh fruits and vegetables and real meat, such as turkey. Even then, don't overload your cat with canned food as it is not good for them to always have it unless they truly need it (old, missing teeth, kittens, etc) Hard food helps to keep teeth healthy by removing plaque when they eat. Just a tablespoon of canned food is plenty. Canned food is known for causing poo problems.

I have found a brand that seems to work for little Precious and he is a very healthy and happy cat right now. As crazy as this sounds, the cheaper "Fancy Feast" works great for the cat. Walmart has 6oz cans for 47 cents each. Cheaper than the Friskies and the Iam's I still give him a little dry food in the afternoon though and so far he has been really good. No diarrhea problems and he seems to be a much happier cat over all. Thank you everyone who responded. I haven't owned a pet since I was a teenager and I am now in my mid 30's and this cat is like our 2nd child. So pampered.

Try the Fancy Feast. That's what I feed my cats, but they have to be the flavors with no gluten! There are several of them. Make sure to read the ingredients list, the gluten gives my cats the runs, and they stink! But the Fancy Feast is the best one.

Pets CatsMay 22, 2013
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
🎄