Browsing: Feeding a Cat Soft Food

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Feeding a Cat Soft Food

Some cat owners prefer to feed their cats soft canned cat food rather than dry kibble. This is a guide about feeding a cat soft food.

soft cat food
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 17, 2010 Flag

I saw that it is better to feed a cat homemade or canned food than to give it dry food, since a cat will not drink enough water for it's own health. Probably a better idea might be to mix soft food with dry food or do all soft food.

Also, neutering a male cat too young can lead to problems later in life.

Source: pethealth101.com

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 4, 2008 Flag

For those of us who have cats, you know how cat food sticks to their feeding dish and is hard to scrub away. My tip is to cut the top off an empty laundry jug but leave the jug handle.

Once done, use the jug to soak the small cat food dishes. I suggest you use more than one small cat food dish so that when one dish is on the floor feeding fussy-the- feline, the other dish is soaking in the jug. Do not over feed your cat. One or two spoonfuls of canned food at a feeding is enough. Store the rest in a plastic container in the fridge. Your cat will ask for more food later in the day. You will actually save money on cat food!

Why? Because when given too much food, the little fur balls tend to eat only a certain amount,then they leave the rest to dry up in the dish. At least with the jug method of cleaning, you won't have to waste time scrubbing dried cat food out of cat food dishes.

By Joseph from Laval Quebec, Canada

December 30, 2010 Flag

I recently rescued a stray cat. He is a beautiful, affectionate cat. He loves canned (wet) cat food, but it seems to give him massive diarrhea. Is there a brand that I can pick up at the grocery store that is safer on their stomachs without breaking my budget at the same time?

Just an FYI, he's been spaded, had all his shots, and is doing well health wise. He only has the diarrhea problem when fed the wet food.

By Lee from VA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I work at a pet store and am very familiar with many lines of pet foods. First of all, try to stay away from foods that contain by-products (those are the extras from the slaughter houses, i.e. beaks, feat, etc) Also stay away from corn ingredients. Corn is just a filler and it does not digest easily. Look for something more natural that includes holistic ingredients such as fresh fruits and vegetables and real meat, such as turkey. Even then, don't overload your cat with canned food as it is not good for them to always have it unless they truly need it (old, missing teeth, kittens, etc) Hard food helps to keep teeth healthy by removing plaque when they eat. Just a tablespoon of canned food is plenty. Canned food is known for causing poo problems.

I have found a brand that seems to work for little Precious and he is a very healthy and happy cat right now. As crazy as this sounds, the cheaper "Fancy Feast" works great for the cat. Walmart has 6oz cans for 47 cents each. Cheaper than the Friskies and the Iam's I still give him a little dry food in the afternoon though and so far he has been really good. No diarrhea problems and he seems to be a much happier cat over all. Thank you everyone who responded. I haven't owned a pet since I was a teenager and I am now in my mid 30's and this cat is like our 2nd child. So pampered.

Try the Fancy Feast. That's what I feed my cats, but they have to be the flavors with no gluten! There are several of them. Make sure to read the ingredients list, the gluten gives my cats the runs, and they stink! But the Fancy Feast is the best one.

Hello,

Please take your baby and a stool sample to your veterinarian. Your doctor can advise you on what to do. Good luck

Read More Answers...
Pets CatsMay 22, 2013
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:52:46 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 689 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.