Finding House Cleaning Service

A female house cleaner.
Choosing the best cleaning service for your needs is important to ensure a positive outcome. This is a guide about finding house cleaning service.

Being a disabled senior, it has finally gotten to the point that I am unable to clean my floors. I can pretty much clean everything else myself, but can't do sweeping, mopping, or vacuuming any more. Does anyone know where I might find someone willing to clean just my floors? To quote one cleaning service, "We do not do PARTS of a house."

Thanks for any input.

By S

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You might ask around the neighborhood to see if there are any teens or college kids willing to do it. Or put an ad in a church bulletin? The only difficulty with that is that cleaning services have bonded people, and hiring an odd jobs person is a little riskier. But a neighbor's kid, or a friend's granddaughter might be a way to go.

Some high schools have job boards too, and if you put an ad up there, at least the guidance counselor would know the kid was working at your home (in case you have problems.) And I have to say this - make sure you check references. :) Good luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Call your local Catholic Charities (should be listed in the phone book and it doesn't matter whether you are Catholic or not) and ask if they have any volunteers that might be willing to help you. I became disabled three years ago and they found a woman, Elizabeth, who volunteers for them and lives near me. She has come in every other week to mop my floors and vacuum since shortly after I became disabled. She would come every week if I let her, but I am not messy and don't wear shoes in my home and that allows her to have time to help someone else on the off weeks instead. She also washes my windows inside and out once a year.

You might have to be on a waiting list, but from what Elizabeth mentioned to me the wait is usually not too long. In exchange for her help, I offer her a homemade lunch and/or give her extras of things like soup or pasta meals she can freeze.

Best Answer

I've been in the business (for myself) for 27+ years. I have always been willing to customize to each individual needs. My advice is, to find a reputable cleaning lady, who works for herself. You will get a more 'personalized' service.

Ask around, as it is always best to find someone that is recommended by another person. But always ask for references and call them. I am in Illinois. Don't know where you are, but, I would sure help you, if I could.

My sister is disabled and she mops sitting in a chair. She has a rolling office chair and just scoots around in it while she mops the floor. She sits in it when she cooks too. She can walk and stand for short peroids but anything she can do sitting she does. She cleans her tub with a broom because she can't bend over.