Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

First Communion Party Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
First Communion Cake

Your child's first communion is a very important religious rite of passage. This is a guide about first communion party ideas.

Solutions: First Communion Party Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Prepare Dishes in Advance for a Communion Party

Communion is around the corner. My tips is to Moms who want to enjoy the day, yet can not afford or do not want to cater the food for a backyard party. Make dishes such as: Chicken Parmagiana, Chicken Cacciatore, Baked Ziti, Sausage Pep and Onion, ahead of time in the chafing pan inserts. Give the dish to a friend that will not be at the church and ask them to bake the item before the party starts and to bring to the party when they arrive. The dish comes to your house hot and ready to serve!

By Tkelly336 from Hamilton, NJ

Tip: First Communion Centerpieces

For my son's First Communion party, we decorated the tables with small square glass vases. My son picked out the fresh cut flowers out and I cut them to the right size. I put decorative marbles in the bottom and used food coloring (blue for boys) to enhance the elegance of the centerpieces. Then I added decorative butterflies to the centerpiece. Butterflies mean "new life". I got endless compliments on the centerpieces. You can even use this in a everyday look at home.

By Kerry from Flat Rock, MI

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to First Communion Party Ideas.

Question: First Communion Activities

What games/activities would be appropriate for my 9 year old daughter's communion bearing in mind the dress and occasion.

By Sorcha O'Connor

Question: Planning a First Communion Party

How do I arrange a party for first holy communion of my son?

By Ivan

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M.05/03/2011

Much depends on time of day and your budget. If it is a morning Mass, you could have lunch or brunch, rolls with sliced meats and cheeses, salads, etc. If it is an afternoon Mass, thing cake and punch, If evening Mass, hors d'oevres or snackie things. Remember that this is not a big gift-giving occasion, more of a religious deal, so gifts of a bible, prayer book, rosary, etc are appropriate.

Question: First Communion Party Ideas

How can I host a First Holy Communion party for my daughter?

By sheebasunny

Most Recent Answer

By Katie07/08/2010

My 8 year old twins were baptized a week ago and we hosted a BBQ at our house afterward. We kept it simple by serving hamburgers and hot dogs, plus several salads (pasta & Cool Whip-fruit cocktail-mini marshmallows-dry Jello), fresh fruit, giant cookies, and cheesecake. We don't drink alcohol so drinks were soda and CapriSun. We had about 30 people.

Question: First Communion Party Favor Ideas

I am looking for homemade favor ideas for a 9 year old girl's communion party. Any suggestions?

By Lori from IL

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams04/17/2010

When it comes to choosing First Holy Communion favors, there are many factors to consider. The type of First Communion party you will be having after the religious service, the number of people you are inviting and the type of favors you prefer.

For a casual First Communion party, your favors might just be some Jordan almonds or mints in an organza bag or a personalized chocolate bar. For a more formal party, you will want to choose elegant First Communion favors such as chocolate crosses or even rosary bead favors for guests. There are also imported chocolate favors incorporated with a magnet or other keepsakes.

The number of people coming to the First Communion festivities will also dictate what party favors to select. Affordable favor ideas for large numbers include religious candle favors, personalized Communion tea bag favors, personalized coffee Communion favors or even personalized cocoa Communion favors. Personalization with your childs name and First Communion date on the favor makes a special gift. Another idea is to place chocolate squares with a First Communion theme wrapper in dishes on every table. Do-it-yourself favor kits are also available for First Communion party favors that involve very little time to assemble but will save a lot of money. Bookmark favors come in kits that can be purchased.

The popular theme ideas for First Holy Communion favors are personalization, edibles and unique Communion favors.

Many people prefer a certain type of favor. Whether its candles, Communion cookies, soaps, edible favors or favors for personalizing, there are many choices to be found. Rosary beads, either large or small, are also very popular gifts for guests at a First Communion party.

Think about whether you want a generic keepsake or one that is specifically for a boy or a girl. Something like a delicious chocolate-covered oreo cookie in pink or blue, or a candle with a blue cross or a pink cross, or a bookmark with a pink cross or a blue cross, or almonds in a pink organza bag or a blue organza bag would be appropriate if you wanted to have Communion boy or Communion girl favors.

If a unique First Communion favor is what you are looking for, favors imported from Spain or Italy fit the bill. They will be something out of the ordinary that your guests will really notice and remember. Imported chocolate puzzles are also elegant and unique Holy Communion favors. Rose-scented rosaries will make a big hit at your Communion party also when you present them to every guests.

If you want something a little classier than the ordinary Jordan almonds, consider fine imported sugared almonds in pink, white, blue, or pastel. Even honey jars with your childs name and First Communion date on a personalized label will be something quite different.

Another thing to remember is how you will seat your guests. A plain place card will do, but there are also bells with a hanging cross that serves as a party favor but also as a way to display the seating arrangements for your guests.

Some other ideas are personalized tins with Communion designs and mints inside. These First Communion souvenirs are very usable but still remind your guests of the special day. Cookies in the shape of a cross, chalice or an angel are also good ideas for party favors for Communion parties.

Many of the candles used for Holy Communion favors have a cross in either pink or blue on the front and come in a gift box. The same is true of bookmarks and key chains. There are even Italian almond favors that also include rosary beads.

With the religious favors that are available, it should not be difficult to find what you are looking for. Votive candles can be personalized, chocolate crosses can have a custom tag attached, tea and coffee favors can be imprinted with the child's name and the date. Edibles range from chocolate bars to fancy imported almonds to wrapped chocolate squares to mint tins to Oreos. Chocolate crosses in milk or white chocolate will surely make an impression on your guests. An elegant frame can be taken home as a keepsake and also serve as a place card holder.

Personalized ribbon is another way to make a unique decoration. Have the ribbon printed with the childs name and date of the event and tie it around the table decorations for a special touch.

There are so many options, it should not be difficult to make your celebration successful and please your guests, all within a budget that will work for a small group or large group of guests. Good luck.

Question: First Communion Activities

I need some ideas for activities for my little brother's first communion. I need some ideas quick! It is in 1 day!

Jaime from Beaver,PA

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: First Communion Party Ideas

I am looking for First Communion celebration ideas.

Sandra from Weston, CT

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

I copied the cake my mom used to make for us, it is my favorite. It looks like a chalice with a host on top. Using a circle cake you cut it off center, about 1/3 down, this makes the top and bottom of the chalice, with a cupcake in between to complete it. She then used a pan from our easy bake oven to make the "host". The first communicate got the honor of having their own cake (the host) and loved it and felt very special. I made cupcakes with the extra cake batter. (03/27/2007)

By Amy

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

Try considering a real cheap backyard type Mediterranean feel. Just like Jesus. Serve breads, cheeses, wines (grape juice for the kids), fish if you want ( fish sticks for kids), and maybe a few lunch meats for some of the men. It is fun. (04/01/2007)

By Sherri

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

We had our daughters first holy communion last year and another one doing it again this year. Her dress was beautiful so we took her for professional pictures and what a keepsake. The day of the professional pictures I brought her home and took our own pictures which I used in her invitations and her thank you Hershey bar candy wrappers.

I converted a pink baby announcement to a communion invitation which was pink so we went with a pink and green theme. We rented tents and I tied tulle around the legs of the tent with pink flowers on each. We ordered round tables and each table had a picture frame from the dollar store on it with again the pictured we had taken along with a vase of pink roses and balloons. All the table cloths were pink and the tableware was green. It was beautiful.

The cake was ordered from a bakery and it was an ice cream cake which worked nice because I didn't have to buy ice cream separately. We also had a party tray of finger desserts (eclairs, cookies, etc) and a chocolate fountain that you could dip strawberries, cookies, and pretzels in.

We really had a wonderful day and plan on doing it again this year for the other daughter, but her colors are going to be lilac and yellow. Hope I gave someone some good ideas just as I have gotten from other people here. (04/19/2007)

By Lisa

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

Here is another nice centerpiece idea. I dug out my child's baptism candle. Then I placed both her baptismal candle and first communion candle on the table. We lit both. You may want to add photos of those special days next to the candles. A great symbol of both sacraments. (04/24/2007)

By Kristin

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

My daughter's 1st communion is next weekend so I am busy preparing, like you. Her colors are pink and green. One idea we had was to spray paint lots of small (2.5in) flower pots pink and stamp a cross (that matches the invitations I made). We will plant a variety of small pink flowers in the pots and use them to decorate our house and yard. When the party is over, each guest can take one home as a memento of her special day. (04/27/2007)

By Michelle

Your child's touch

I am a catechetical leader at a Catholic church. The children in our parish draw a picture of themselves as they think they will look on their First Communion Day. We turn these creations into blank notecards that can be used as invitations or thank yous. My daughter is celebrating the sacrament this year and created her own "holy card". She drew a beautiful picture of Jesus on one side, and her favorite scripture verse, along with her name and date of first communion on the other side.

A word of advice: Do not ruin it for the kids by making your parties too big, too much. The focus on the day needs to be what happens at the church. (05/01/2007)

By Mary

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

I am just amazed at what I am reading. I am glad that so many parents want to celebrate the event, but it just seems that it is all about the party and not about the sacrament. Yes, this day needs to be special, but it is not about catering and cakes, but about the child and his/her special relationship with God. Don't get me wrong, I have seven kids and we make this day a big event, but everything is in perspective. The main event is the First communion. The party afterwards focuses around that, but is simple and relaxed. (03/16/2008)

By M

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

Keep it simple, make the gathering (not a party) about receiving the Body of Christ and don't make it a source of stress and anguish. (04/30/2008)

By Lisa

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

My son is making his First Communion this Sunday and we are keeping things pretty simple. He understands that this is a gathering of family at our home and not a huge party. We are going to have around 30 guests. We are doing a few simple pasta dishes, one of which I am making myself. A friend of mine is making the cake and making some chocolate covered Oreo cookies with blue crosses on them. Other than that we are just doing chips and soda. I wanted to keep this gathering as simple as possible, as people have posted before me I wanted this day to be about his Communion not about a big party. (05/01/2008)

By Erin

No party no guests

My 2 children are having their first communion this Sunday and they know we are not having a party. They will have a cake and no guests. They are the focus in the mass. As a gift they will have a nice rosary and a book like an album for their pictures and memories. I was taking pictures during their classes and meetings at the church. Like a scrapbook. (05/02/2008)

By Ali

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

Thank you to all of you who brought the focus back on Christ. I was beginning to get carried away on the whole party thing and was thankfully brought back to the real reason of this celebration. We will fix our eyes on Jesus. Thank you. (09/06/2008)

By Tracey

RE: First Communion Party Ideas

My daughter will be celebrating her first communion in December and I want the main focus to be Jesus. We are having a gathering in our home after the mass. I will be making a dinner the night before and will set up in the backyard. I will have two buffet tables, and one drink table, which will have wine and soda. (We live in Florida). I also plan to have the chimney in the yard lit up.

Our theme will just be silver table cloths and candles. The invitation were printed at Hallmark for $40. The cake will be from Publix for $40. I'm planning to spend about $200. in food, drinks, and paper goods. As gifts for my guests I have purchased Yankee Candles at $6.00 each from Ross Stores (9 in total).

My daughter's dress was purchased at David's Bridal ($100.) and I'm planning to surprise her with a scrap book with things collected that she has made in regards to her learning. We will have the play room set up with Wii and play station (14 kids under 10 will be in our home) and no games other than that are planned. It sounds expensive, but I have limited a lot and I just hope that everyone has a nice time.

The main focus is Jesus, we are Latin and I did not want this to turn into a loud, "birthday" like party. I hope this is helpful. I thought it out and I hope it all goes well. (11/07/2008)

By Maribel

Archive: First Communion Party Ideas

Can I get some planning tips for a cousin's communion? I would like advice on games for children as well as adults. Thank you.

By EC