Fixing a Cracked Dashboard

Exposure to sun and temperature variations can cause the dashboard in your car to crack. To save on expenses you can make the repairs yourself. This is a guide about fixing a cracked dashboard.

November 7, 2004 Flag

Does anyone out there know how to stop a crack in the dashboard of a car? We're a little tight on money right now and can't afford to have it professionally done. We aren't looking to repair it right now, only to stop it before it gets worse! thanks!

Alica from Missouri

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check your auto parts department at places like Walmart. I have seen repair kits for the vinyl in car interiors to repair vinyl seats, etc. which come with several color vials so you can mix colors for a better match. I think they are under $20.00, but I have never tried them so I don't know how well they work. If Walmart, K-mart, or Target don't have this item, then try an auto parts store like Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, etc.

My second suggestion is a more frugal one just for appearances. You could just place duct tape over the cracks to prevent them from enlarging, and then use something like fabric (fleece, velour, felt, canvas, etc.) contact paper, rubberized (or not) shelf liner, or a scrap of carpet that complements your car interior over the top of the whole dash as a temporary cosmetic fix. I've seen custom made fabric dashboard covers in auto parts catalogs like J.C. Whitney, but these can get very expensive. If you decide to go this route, you may want to remove the dashboard so you can more precisely cut the hole where your defroster vent is near the windshield. Good luck!

I wonder if the process would be similar as used for windshields and the plastic in refridgerators? I have had both problems. The first step is to carefully (slowly) drill a hole, using a small bit, at the tip of the crack. By tip, I mean the end where the crack is expanding. This stops the crack from progressing. Then fill the exisiting crack and drill hole. I would assume any vinyl repair goo the color of your dash as described in the other post would work well.

This is more of a preventive than a cure, but will at least help prevent future cracks. Use ArmorAll or some similar type of conditioner about once a month. It conditions your dash and adds a nice shine too. When I couldn't afford the conditioner I even used vaseline. Its a little more work to rub it in and get all the residue off, but it works.

Home and Garden Repair CarsApril 7, 2013
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
dashboard light array
Dashboard Lights Going Off and On
Cracked Fingertips
Remedies for Cracked Fingertips
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair