Fixing a Slow Drain

How do you speed up a slow drain?

Beth

Answers:

Fixing a Slow Drain

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf91432402.tip.html

This same question was posted on thrifty fun and here are some remedies. (04/30/2008)

By MCW

Fixing a Slow Drain

Hi Beth! None of the tips posted on the link above worked for me last time I had this problem, so I bought a product at Menard's called Instant Power Hair and Grease Dissolver. It comes in a tall black plastic bottle, inside of a clear plastic bag, like a baggie. I poured about 2 cups of it into my (bath) drain, and by the next morning the drain was completely clear!

I also realized what was causing my problem, it was the body wash I had been using, one of the "cream" types. It was good for my skin, but awful for my drain! Made it greasy and a trap for hair and dirt.

You might want to give it a try. :) (05/02/2008)

By Kayray

Fixing a Slow Drain

The Menard's fix sounds interesting. I never use chemical products that might harm the drain. I use my garden hose to clear all drains. It even works on the toilet unless there is an unusually tight clog.

Simply hook the hose to a faucet (I try to hook it to my basement stationary tub faucet so I get hot water which is more effective). Use one of nozzles on the hose that is the skinny type if you have one, and push it down the drain as far as possible, then pack wash cloths or rags all around to keep the water from coming back into the basin or tub that is slow. Have a friend turn the water on full force while you hold the nozzle into the drain.

Let the water run for several minutes...at least 5. The drain should clear, but if not, I'd try it again only longer. It helps to do this process at the wall of a sink and sometimes you will discover the clog is in the trap (curved pipe) under the sink and can easily be cleaned out by hand, eliminating the need to use the hose. (05/02/2008)

By Cass

Fixing a Slow Drain

Put some baking soda followed by vinegar in the drain on a regular schedule. Maybe once a month helps keep it running smooth. (05/03/2008)

By WIsgal

Fixing a Slow Drain

Hi. I frequently use the method of pouring baking soda in the drain and then vinegar. However, I do heat my vinegar in the microwave before pouring it in on top of the baking soda. But stand back, because it really steams up. You can hear the gurgling, then I run hot water afterwords and watch the little whirlpool because the water runs so much faster.
(05/05/2008)

By dianna

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🎉
🎄