Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain?

Category Plumbing
If your tub drain stopper mechanism breaks or comes apart some of the pieces may fall down the drain. Getting the pieces back may be difficult. This is a page about retrieving parts from a broken drain.

The linkage to my plunger type drain broke and the remainder of the rod fell back down in the pipe where the lever is located. How do I retrieve it? is there a magnet that can be used? HELP!

HJenkins

Answers

H Jenkins

There are magnetic tools for recovering ferrouse parts; the best are used by boat owners. There are also mechanical grabs used by the infirm but will only reach about 2.5ft. Also both of these types of tool will only work (to my knowlege) on the virtical drop, if your lost parts have moved around a bend in the pipe you should seek professional help.

There should be a black "U" shaped trap under the sink. Just loosen the two black nuts that are holding the pipe and the trap will slide right down.

They do unscrew in different directions one clockwise the other counter clockwise.
Hope this helps

My bathtub overflow drain pipe lift rod assembly fell into the pipe. I cannot see it. I must remove it, but how?

By carmine from Staten Island, NY

Answers

You may have to remove the p-trap, or go to the Automotive Parts store and buy a 'Retriever'. If you have PVC plumbing, a magnetic type may be your salvation; if not, then the 'Spring-[4-fngers]clasp' may be the answer. www.newmantools.com/.../magnets.htm

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingOctober 29, 2013
🌻
😷
📓
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Retrieving-Parts-from-a-Broken-Drain-1.html