Freezing Apples

After I slice my apples, can I put them in cold water and put Fruit Fresh in the water, then drain the apples and freeze them in bags?

By Reba

Yes, that would work just fine. However, if you're going to use the apples for pie, you don't need to do that. Just slice and put in airtight container/food saver bag and seal. The apples will discolor some, but the taste will be great after baking. I do it all the time-in fact, apple pie sounds mighty good.

I just read in Heloise to slice the apple up, sprinkle with lemon juice and freeze.

Lucky enough to have an apple tree or access to cheap apples? Here's how to freeze them for year-round use:

Option 1: Wash the apples thoroughly. Then, freeze whole and unpeeled on a tray. Transfer to freezer bags once frozen.

Option 2: Peel, core and slice apples to desired size. Then, freeze on a tray, and transfer to freezer bags once frozen.

Option 3: Peel, core and slice apples to desired size. Then, sweeten with sugar and spices to use as pie filling. Freeze in pie plates. Then, transfer to freezer bags once frozen. To use: simply drop the frozen apples into a pie crust; cover them with dough and cook. (Note: you'll probably need to increase the bake time for your pies).

To Avoid Browning: Dip the apple slices in lemon juice, salt water or an ascorbic acid solution prior to freezing. You can also, pack them in sugar syrup, or blanch them for one and a half minutes to stop the enzyme action that causes browning.

1. Frozen apples can be used to make apple butter, apple sauce, pies, cakes, baked apples and other baked dishes.

2. Since freezing changes the texture of apples, they are not as well suited for eating raw

3. Some spices lose their potency when frozen, so you may find that it works best to add your pie spices just prior to baking.

4. Freeze some apples whole and chop others to accommodate a variety of recipes.

More Ways to Preserve Apples.

Applesauce Popsicles

Apple Butter

How Do I Prepare Apples for Freezing?
Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesJune 26, 2011
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Freezing Applesauce