Browsing: Freezing Hot Dogs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Freezing Hot Dogs

You can take advantage of sale prices on hot dogs by buying them in quantity and freezing them. This is a guide about freezing hot dogs.

Freezing Hot Dogs
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 17, 2016 Flag

Can I freeze frankfurters in the packaging they come in? Or, will the packaging split?
Thanks :)

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ice expands so, depending upon what the frankfurters are made of, they might expand enough to split the packaging. I would use freezer bags to avoid the problem.

January 28, 2015 Flag

Can you refreeze deer hot dogs that were defrosted outside of the refrigator for a day?

By Ronnie P.

No. Only refreeze meat which still has ice crystals in it.

I never, personally, refreeze meat of any kind.

April 1, 2009 Flag

When buying hot dogs, open the package put all the wieners on a cookie sheet, then freeze them. Once they are frozen put them in a freezer bag. Then when you want one or two, they will already be separated.

By Gloria from Moncton, NB Canada

September 4, 2010 Flag

Can you refreeze hot dogs?

By Sharon from Brantford, ON

It depends on how long they've already been thawed. If it was only a day or two and they were thawed in the refrigerator it would be safe but I don't know what it would do to the flavor.

I have always heard to never refreeze thawed food. You can cook them then refreeze.

September 4, 2010 Flag

Can I refreeze hot dogs which have been defrosted by soaking in hot water?

Kerry from Natick, MA

Answers:

Refreezing Hot Dogs

As far as safety, I'd say it depends on how long they sat in the hot water and how much bacteria collected in that time. If it were me, I'd only risk it if they were defrosted for less than an hour, and they probably won't taste the same anyway. They may have freezer burn after refreezing.

My mom worked in the main office of Safeway in the meat department back in the 80s and answered questions from people calling about refreezing meat all the time. It's not true that once meat has been defrosted that it can't be refrozen. It usually can if it hasn't been defrosted for very long. (12/30/2008)

By Cyinda

Refreezing Hot Dogs

I wouldn't trust anything defrosted with out cooking it first. Then refreeze it. It's not worth getting sick over! (01/05/2009)

By Shawn

Refreezing Hot Dogs

No, not unless you want to take a chance on being sick. (01/05/2009)

By Jane

Refreezing Hot Dogs

I'm not dead yet! Once something is thawed, whatever degree of bacteria that grew is the degree that it would have when it was re-frozen. If it was done shortly afterward, I've never had a problem. They are full of nitrates and wouldn't go bad as quickly as fresh meat. (01/06/2009)

By cedartree

Food and Recipes Freezing MeatOctober 26, 2012
Freezing Hot Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:52:15 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.