Refreezing Hot Dogs

Can I refreeze hot dogs which have been defrosted by soaking in hot water?

Kerry from Natick, MA

Answers:

Refreezing Hot Dogs

As far as safety, I'd say it depends on how long they sat in the hot water and how much bacteria collected in that time. If it were me, I'd only risk it if they were defrosted for less than an hour, and they probably won't taste the same anyway. They may have freezer burn after refreezing.

My mom worked in the main office of Safeway in the meat department back in the 80s and answered questions from people calling about refreezing meat all the time. It's not true that once meat has been defrosted that it can't be refrozen. It usually can if it hasn't been defrosted for very long. (12/30/2008)

By Cyinda

Refreezing Hot Dogs

I wouldn't trust anything defrosted with out cooking it first. Then refreeze it. It's not worth getting sick over! (01/05/2009)

By Shawn

Refreezing Hot Dogs

No, not unless you want to take a chance on being sick. (01/05/2009)

By Jane

Refreezing Hot Dogs

I'm not dead yet! Once something is thawed, whatever degree of bacteria that grew is the degree that it would have when it was re-frozen. If it was done shortly afterward, I've never had a problem. They are full of nitrates and wouldn't go bad as quickly as fresh meat. (01/06/2009)

By cedartree