Refreezing Cooked Meat

Category Meat
Deciding on the safety of refreezing cooked meat can be confusing. This is a guide about refreezing cooked meat.

If you defrost roasted beef then add to a cold freshly made curry sauce can you refreeze it and use at a later date?

Answers

Best Answer

You can do this. I have done this before and it works ok, but you do lose flavor and texture as someone else said. I found that the meat gets a lot softer with a second freezing after its cooked and loses some flavor also.

How many times can I refreeze meat after cooking?

By Judy Brush from Rapid City

Answers

I would say only once, after that the taste will suffer greatly.

While freezing meat effectively arrests bacterial growth, the thawing processif done incorrectlycan allow new bacteria to grow, thereby contaminating your food. For this reason, it is important to only use one of three safe approaches (as recommended by the USDA) to defrost your chicken: 1) in the refrigerator, 2) in cold water, or 3) in the microwave....http://www.howt  rostchicken.com/

I recently purchased a smoked Boston butt right off the grill. I froze it. We thawed it and heated it for company, but had a large amount left. Can I refreeze this to use in baked beans or is this safe?

By Sissy from AL

Answers:

Refreezing Cooked Meat

The only thing that sometimes suffers when refreezing things is the quality or possibly taste of the item. There are no safety issues with refreezing. And I usually find that the quality and taste issue is so slight it is not even detectable. So go ahead and refreeze. (06/28/2010)

By Margo smith

Refreezing Cooked Meat

Oh, one other thing I should mention. Ham will only freeze for about 1 or 2 months before it's quality deteriorates. Because it is smoked it will develop an off flavor if frozen too long. Same is true with other smoked meats. (06/28/2010)

By Margo smith

Refreezing Cooked Meat

You can refreeze cooked meat once. (06/30/2010)

By Lilac

Refreezing Cooked Meat

Safety is the issue. Considering you thawed it once, it gave it time to gather bacteria. Your state has an extension site which has issues like this, the butcher at the store can give advice and most will tell you throw it. There is danger in the reheat and reuse. Refreezing does bring safety issues as the quality each time you freeze it is challenged and worst of all compromised.

I do large quantity of cooking at church, etc. and the rules of safety are posted on the walls. This is from the department of health regulations. I know my mom would argue on these points, she saying, "Well, we have done this for years". But these days of 'always having a touch of stomach flu' and not obeying the 5 day rule (what you don't eat in the 5 days, is no longer a welcome leftover).

Also, deli cut meat has the same 5 day rule. Prepackaged meat with the dates on it are for expiration before it is opened. After it is opened, it has the 5 day rule as well. (06/30/2010)

By Grandma J