Refreezing Thawed Meat

Category Meat

Generally, refreezing thawed meat is not recommended. This is because the quality of the meat will be reduced in this process. Also, if the meat was not thawed in the fridge, there is a strong likelihood that bacteria has started to grow on the meat.

• Food Safety - According to the USDA, as long as the meat has been thawed in the fridge, the meat can be refrozen. If it was thawed on the counter, the meat is not considered safe to refreeze.
  • Food Quality - When meat is refrozen not only is there moisture loss, that contributes to dry and tough meat, but each refreeze actually changes the structure of the proteins. In this article from Cooks Illustrated we learn that when we freeze the water inside of the protein cells, soluble salts are released which causes some of the proteins to shorten, causing tougher meat.
  • It is best practice to cook the thawed meat, then freeze it.

Read More or Comment...

My daughter partially thawed some loose pork sausage in the microwave and could not finish thawing it so she put it back in the freezer. Is it still ok to re-thaw this in the microwave and then cook it to eat?

By Harley chick from Lewistown, PA

Answers

No! Once you partially un-thaw it, you need to cook it, then you can refreeze. Partially thawing in a microwave "wakes up" bacteria which can multiply if you don't finish cooking it.

My parents were very food conscious. The rule of thumb was: if it thaws out completely, you need to cook it or throw it away. If it was partially thawed & still very cold, you could refreeze it. I am 57 & I've followed these rules & never gotten sick. If you are worried, marinade it. Marinade is kind of preserving it & keep it in the fridg till you are ready to cook it. When marinating, it can take days to do it.

Check out the website stilltasty.com it shares a lot about how long to keep foods frozen and refrigerated etc.

We butcher our own beef. I have always refroze our meat if it was just partially thawed and still partially frozen. I have never had any health problems from doing this.

I've never cooked it first and then froze it. I think you'll do fine freezing it again as long as it's not completely thawed.

I went to the store this morning and I bought some Italian sausage and they were almost frozen. Luckily I was going to use it today, but my concern is I always thought that you couldn't refreeze meat. If this is true, had I come into the store later that day, the sausage would have been thawed. So unknown to me I would have brought it home and stuck it in the freezer. I just wonder how many times other meats in the case are frozen? Can you refreeze store bought meat or not?

Thanks,
Pam

Answers:

Freezing Meat - How Many Times Can You Freeze It?

Hi Pam. I think as long as the meat doesn't get to room temp., which allows bacteria to develop, freezing is no problem. I've done that many times and had no problems. You should be fine. (04/06/2005)

By Suzanne

A butcher friend of ours says it's ok to re-freeze meat. I've done it many times since he told us this, and we've never encountered any problems at all! (04/06/2005)

By carol

I was under the impression that raw meat, which had been frozen, can be refrozen if cooked. (04/06/2005)

By Lucille Gifford

Gee, thanks guys for the information. I wish I knew this a few years back when we had a snow storm and electric was out for 4 days and everything in the freezer thawed. I could have refroze it, instead of having pork chops for breakfast. LOL. Like I said, I was always told once thawed you can't refreeze unless you cook it. But, if I understand, as long as it's still cold you can refreeze raw meat, right? Ok, thanks again. (04/07/2005)

By Pam

If the meat was allowed to thaw on the counter or in the microwave, it sounds like there is a concern about bacteria. What happens if the meat is frozen with bacteria? Does the bacteria continue to grow? Doesn't all bacteria die if the meat is cooked properly? (12/30/2007)

By eighttrackin

No! Never refreeze! Bacteria can go in hibernation, and just happily keep going after thawing, and the cells of the meat burst because they're made out of 70/90% water, which expands. So it's probably already dry. Make sure you cook as soon as it's thawed. (04/27/2008)

It's perfectly ok to freeze meat again. As a cook, the staff and I did this all the time.

Bacteria does form when thawed, but when you freeze the meat again, it freezes the bacteria too. When you thaw it out again, it goes back to where it was before.

The texture may be affected a little bit, but that is about it. (09/19/2008)

By Perry

I work at a butcher shop and a lot of the time meat comes in frozen. As for meats like pork and beef, which are made into sausages/hamburger/patties, you have to thaw it enough to work through the grinder, which in turn you mix spices into and make the product. You then freeze those sausages/hamburger/patties for customers. When you go to cook it you in turn thaw it out or as I do, put it on the grill frozen.

A lot of people who hunt their own venison will get it in fresh/frozen (depends if it is really cold outside) and in turn we put it in the cooler to thaw. You then cut it and freeze it. Many months later people will bring in left-over meat to be put into sausages. You then must thaw it and work it into the grinder and freeze it again. Then to actually eat it, you have to thaw it again to cook it.

Think about it; if the meat smells bad and looks green (I don't know of any green eggs and ham to be in existence), then don't eat it! That's the general rule, isn't it? (09/25/2008)

By Matt Boersma

A quote from another article on the subject titled, "Is It Safe to Refreeze Raw Meat and Poultry that Has been Thawed?" by Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County:

The U. S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) advises, "Meat and poultry defrosted in the refrigerator may be refrozen before or after cooking. If thawed by other methods, cook before refreezing." (Basics for Handling Food Safely, September 8, 2006.)

(DO NOT thaw meat at room temperature, such as on the kitchen counter.)

Meat/poultry that is refrozen might suffer some quality loss as moisture may be lost during thawing.

Safety will depend on whether the raw product was handled properly before it was frozen, refrozen shortly after it was thawed, cooked to a safe temperature when it is eaten and handled safely if there are any leftovers. (11/10/2008)

By Jensen

Can I freeze raw meat, let it thaw and then refreeze the raw hamburger meat?

By Dannielle from Wichita, KS

Answers

I have always heard that it is unsafe to refreeze completely thawed raw meat. If it is only part way thawed, it is supposed to be OK to refreeze.

Check this link: http://stilltas  /index/91/page:1

It's a great site to bookmark for all kinds of food safety questions; this says that if the meat has been thawed in the fridge and it's been two days or under since the thaw--it can be safely refrozen.

Actually to be on the safe side do not do it. You can cook the thawed hamburger then freeze it. There is always the possibility that you might refreeze the hamburger then refreeze it then forget you have refrozen it then refreeze it again. Freezing meat does not kill bacteria. it only slows the growth. Just don't do it.

Don't do it - cook it thoroughly, then refreezing it will be safe. You might get away with refreezing partially thawed meat as stated in the prior feedback - but only solid cuts of meat, chops or roasts or steaks, not chopped meat.
One of my friends ate chicken livers that had been thawed and refrozen (inadvertent on her part, the market had not labeled the chicken as previously frozen) - she became so violently ill she was taken to the emergency room in an ambulance - couldn't even walk to her car!

According to the USDA any meat can be re-frozen if it has been thawed out in the refrigerator. If you used the microwave or cold water then it has to be cooked before it can be re frozen. I have done this many times with no problems. But I will not re-freeze something that I did not thaw out in the fridge.

Can I refreeze uncooked pork chops?

By Geri Turek from St. Louis, MO

Answers

I would not do it; I would cook them, then freeze them. (You can use the thawed, cooked pork in casseroles, stir-fry, etc.).

No. Never refreeze meat. If you are not going to use it, cook it then freeze it.

Can I refreeze Cornish hens?

By kyle smith from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Anonymous

You need to cook them before refreezing to be safe and I wouldn't bother even doing that if they've been thawed for more than three days for safety sake.

This is a guide about refreezing frozen hamburger. Food safety is an important concern when deciding to refreeze previously frozen meats.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Can you re-freeze thawed sausages?

By Brian from Bowral, NSW

Answers:

Refreezing Meat

I am a Dietary Manager and I as told in my training about refreezing meats only IF the meat still has ice crystals in it, it is OK to refreeze, however the quality of the meat won't be as it was when you bought it. I have done it and have not had any problems.

If it is completely thawed, I wouldn't chance it as it could cause foodborne illness. (05/24/2010)

By Sheila

Refreezing Meat

I would cook them and then freeze them. Safer and will be ready upon warming :) (05/24/2010)

By Becca25

Refreezing Meat

Brian, try: stilltasty.com. It's a great site for all food items including shelf life, freezing questions etc. (05/24/2010)

By Keeper

Refreezing Meat

As a chef I had to become a health inspector. I do not know if that is required any more though. What we learned is that it is OK to refreeze meat and that the reason they say not to is because of hold time. Everything has a 2 hour hold time. People do not keep track of this.

So let's say that you bought your meat at the store, took it out of the cooler and put it in your cart. You shopped for 10 more minutes then checked out. It took you 26 minutes to check out and get to the car and load. It took you 22 minutes to get home and unload your car. It took you another 5 minutes to get it into the freezer. You have just used 63 minutes from your 160 minutes. So you now have only 97 minutes left of your original hold time. You take it out to thaw. Most people do not use the fridge to thaw meat and set it out on the counter or somewhere. This is a really bad idea because let's say this same meat that has 97 minutes left on its original hold time, is on the counter thawing and now it takes only 1 and 1/2 hours to thaw, but you do not know that (neither would I) and it sets there for about 2 hours and 20 minutes when you realize that it is thawed. Now you have used 50 minutes from your 97 minutes left of your hold time. You only have 47 minutes left.

So you are getting ready to cook it and you're preparing it. So it sits there waiting to be cooked, this takes 14 minutes getting pans ready, chopping peppers and onions, heating pans, so on and so forth. You now only have 33 minutes left. You have some that you need to refreeze so you get it in a new package that takes 30 minutes, because you eat really quick and clean up some to have a clean area to package your meat to refreeze again. You now have 3 minutes left. So when you thaw it again to cook you have 3 minutes left. You will go over your hold time and have a real great vessel for bacteria and making people sick. It will look fine, smell fine, taste good, but is very capable of making people very sick once you go over your hold time. The hold time is saying that you have 2 hours before the meat actually will start to have bad bacteria in it and cooking it will not kill these kind.

The last thing is with a hold time, you do not know how much of it was used by the people at the store packaging it and also in transport. I am sorry for such a long explanation, but if people know and understand about these things it is easier. So if you keep track of your hold time and know what it is and are very careful of how you thaw your meat in the fridge (I hope, we do), then you can refreeze it with no problem. The thing with the ice crystals in it is correct because it is not using any of the hold time since it is still partially frozen and not good for bacteria to grow. This is for all meat, fish, and poultry. It is also on eggs and milk as well about the hold times. (05/25/2010)

By Rosemarie

Refreezing Meat

Why take a chance? Throw it out or cook it then freeze it. (05/26/2010)

By Lilac

Can you refreeze raw beef once it has been defrosted? Will it be safe to eat?

Can I refreeze meat?