Refreezing Previously Frozen Foods

There may be food safety concerns when refreezing certain previously frozen foods. This is a guide about refreezing previously frozen foods.

This is a guide about refreezing cooked meat. Deciding on the safety of refreezing cooked meat can be confusing.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about refreezing baked goods. Sometimes previously frozen baked goods are not all eaten and you may wish to refreeze them.

This is a guide about refreezing thawed meat. Many of us have had the occasion when we would like to refreeze some meat that was recently thawed.

Can cheese that has thawed out be refrozen? Can frozen pizza dough that has thawed out be refrozen?

By Marianne from Washington, NH

Answers

Best Answer

Nope, refreezing the dough again will kill the yeast. Freeze and thaw is a one time thing so only thaw what you need.

I have cheddar in my freezer. I wanna make cheese scones. Can I freeze my cheese scones if I bake em with defrosted cheddar?

Answers

Yes you can. Although you are de-frosting the cheddar cheese that was frozen, you are changing the composition of the cheese by baking it , and there for able to freeze the cheddar cheese again.

Sounds delicious, enjoy !!

Yes. It is perfectly safe to do so.

You can, but sometimes you get that freezery taste!! The scones sound amazing! I am guessing they may not last long enough to freeze!! At least they would not in my house!!

Please share the recipe! I have sweet scone recipes, but LOVE the savory ones too!! ENJOY!!!

Yes, make sure it's all defrosted before you bake them :)

Yes, good to be freezer for up to 3 months.

I rarely refreeze anything but that is usually because there is nothing left to refreeze so I was curious about the safety issue since there are so many "rumors" flying around that it is unsafe to refreeze any food.

Research shows that if food is thawed correctly (better in refrigerator) it is safe to cook and eat but (as Pghgirl stated) it may loose some of its flavor or have a slight "freezer" taste.

articles.mercola.com/.../refreezing-thawed-food.aspx

Scones sound like something delicious so I hope yours turn out well and, if any are left, will refreeze well.

Can I refreeze my pinto beans and ham after throwing them in the microwave and heating them up but not finishing them?

Answers

You can. The beans may be a little mushier though

Can cooked food be frozen, thawed, recooked, and frozen again?

By BRENDA MANSFIELD CADIEUX from Vernon, B.C.

Answers:

Refreezing Previously Frozen Foods

If they have been defrosted and cooked they will be fine, if not do not refreeze. They will not taste right and lose their flavor. (10/06/2010)

By tara73