Refreezing Thawed Cheese

Category Dairy
This is a guide about refreezing thawed cheese. If the cheese has thawed out but remained refrigerated, it can be refrozen. However, it will have an altered consistency and is best used for baked recipes, such as casseroles.

We had a power outage for several days. Can I refreeze shredded cheese?

Answers

Best Answer

My family has just gone through hurricane Irma and we had power outages for several days. Most food that requires refrigeration it is usually best to throw it away.

I had a freezer full of food that made it through the power outage as I was fully prepared to save this food but almost all food in my refrigerator was thrown away.

I believe the health department advises to discard anything that has milk or milk byproducts. Some items that are pickled may still be safe but why take a chance.

I agree with other responders - throw all of it away and start new.

If that cheese was unrefrigerated, as I assume it was, the answer is no.

No throw it away it is not worth getting very ill with food poisoning.

The only way it's ever safe is if the cheese still contains ice crystals or is at 40F or below, which I highly doubt in your case. Please throw out.