Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I made a large batch of liquid laundry detergent. I have a front loading washing machine (which I love). My problem is when I go to remove the clothes, if it isn't the second it stops, they begin to get a foul odor. I can't say it's the musty smell that occurs if you leave the clothes in overnight either. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Kim from Sutton, NH

Answers:

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Front loader washers need to be cleaned once a month. They tend to build up mold and mildew if not cleaned in the rubber seal. My front loader washer Duet Sport comes with a cleanwasher cycle. Bleach "only" is added and it washes through a complete cycle. I also leave the door ajar to help with ventilation as recommended by the manufacturer. I have not had any odors at all. (07/31/2007)

By caddie

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

I had a problem with my clothes not smelling clean and then I read an article that too much soap can cause this. I started using less detergent, and the smell went away. I use a little less than 1/2 of the detergent I did when I had a top-loading washer.

(08/01/2007)

By Linda in AL

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Our front load washer had a fungus odor. There was a thick buildup from using too much detergent and also liquid fabric softener. I read on other posts to use a product called "Purewasher" sold on the internet. It took two tries, but you only use a couple of tablespoons. Green fungus that was covering the outside drum came out. After cleaning the washer you soak any clothes or towels in a solution of the cleaner to get rid of mildew smell. It works great. (09/27/2007)

By Tina

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Although the jury is still out, the odor problem with front loaders seems to come from standing water (just a little bit) in the drum. Here are some approaches to alleviating the problem:

• Every fourth or fifth load should be run on hot, such as bath towels. Washing all the time with cold water aggravates the problem.
  • Use HE detergent.
  • If you have a drain filter, service it regularly. Maybe more than just "regularly".
    <lli>Keep the door open between uses. I have cats and cannot.
  • Check out "Affresh", a tablet (not cheap) that seems to help.
  • Look into using a little bit of tea tree oil occasionally (maybe an empty "hot" load).
  • Live in the southwest (low humidity), yuk I live in New England. (11/12/2007)

By WeBMartians

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Let me start by saying that I also love my front loading set. Previous to purchasing (on July '07), I did a lot of research and decided it was the set for me. I had also read about the clothes' smell from posted reviews. I figured if I'm careful and I leave the door open overnight, it wouldn't happen to me. Well, it did.

My towels (regular clothes were fine), started to smell awful, even right after washing and drying. I used bleach, but didn't help. Then, I read the manual in more detail, and my Kenmore HE5t machine has a feature called "Sanitary". I used it to wash my towels with a little bleach and, Voila! Problem solved.

That washing cycle takes almost 2 hours to complete, but I must say I love it. I have not had that problem since then, even after washing the towels on a regular cycle. If the odor returns, I'll just wash them that way again. For added measure, I'm going to start using the "Clean Washer" cycle at least once a month. (11/16/2007)

By Mayra

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Check the rubber ring that is around the door. There often builds up some muck in the flaps near the tub. You need to clean it out with a rag and wipe it with some bleach. Also leave the door open after you finish a load of laundry so it can air dry inside. (11/18/2007)

By Jerry

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Message to Nancy T. I also called the manufacturer and was told to order a cleaner called "Affresh" that they sell. I bought it and it didn't make a bit of difference. I called again and was told to buy some more. Then a neighbor let me use just a tablespoon of a natural washer cleaner from:

smellywasher.com

My washer smells like new. I ordered some and it takes only a teaspoon to get rid of mildew smell from a load of towels. Also, their tech support is great. It's been 2 months and still no smell.
(12/16/2007)

By Joann

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Use the special HE soap. We use the cheaper one from Sears in the big bucket with the pink lid. My sister said you cannot use the regular laundry soap in the front loaders or they will get smelly in time. (02/20/2008)

By Chris

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

You can buy the tablets at Best Buy to reduce odors. (04/17/2008)

By Jeff

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

I had/have the same problem. However my Sears repairman showed me a part underneath the washer a shaped drain pipe that holds lint, tissue, paper, hair, etc. He removed it and then sold me a product that looks like a big salt tablet than removes the gunk and smell. You have to run this tablet once a month or use three tablets every 3 months. But it just like lint in your dryer filter that is causing the smell. (05/29/2008)

By Emily R.

Odor From Front Loading Washing Machine

Stop using biological powders. Run machine several times, empty, on a very hot wash, adding a small amount of bleach. The smell might take several weeks before it is eliminated altogether. (07/02/2008)

By littletoe46

Close up of empty front load washing machine with the door open
Front Loading Washer Smells Bad
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
View from inside of a front load washing machine of a man holding his nose.
Rotten Egg Smell in a Front Loading Washer
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
🎄