Frugal Dessert Recipes

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have homemade desserts. This page contains frugal dessert recipes.

Woman and Daughter and Pie Cooked with Love

September 29, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for sweets that would have been made at home during WW2 preferably in the U.K. I'm a volunteer at our local primary school and WW2 is our topic this term. I'm sure our mothers/grans must have done something occasionally. I've found plenty of "mock" desserts substituting this and that but no sweets. It doesn't matter if they taste vile, the experience is the thing! Thanks!

By Jehosophat Jones from England

My mother always made potato candy when I grew up. My guess is that may have started in the ww2 era. She was the first woman welder in our town during the war. You could research this. The candy is made from left over mashed potatoes, powdered sugar, and peanut butter.

Two-Egg Cake

Mix together 1/2 cup soft shortening and 1 cup sugar

Beat in thoroughly, one at a time 2 eggs

Sift together 1 3/4 cups sifted All America Enriched Flour, 2 tsp. double-action baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt

Stir into shortening-sugar mixture alternately with 2/3 cup milk and 1 tsp. vanilla

Pour into 2 greased and floured 8" round layer pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in moderate oven (350°). When cake is cool, spread Milk Chocolate Icing (recipe below) between layers and over top and sides.

For Spice Variation

Sift 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. cloves with dry ingredients.

Milk Chocolate Icing

Heat together over hot water until shortening melts 4 tbsp. shortening and 6 tbsp. cocoa

Pour 5 tbsp. scalding hot milk (evaporated or fresh whole)

over 2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar

1/4 tsp. salt Stir to dissolve completely.

Stir in . 1 tsp. vanilla and

hot cocoa mixture

(Complete mixture will be very thin.) While hot, beat until thick enough to spread and smooth and glossy.

Amount: Icing for two 8-inch layers.

I was a child in England during WWII. Mostly our desserts were made with local fruit, such as apples and plums and our meager sugar ration would go for sweetening them. However, I believe when you say "sweets" you are referring to what we call "candy" here in the U.S. I don't remember my Mother making sweets at home - it would have taken too much sugar. We were allowed a "candy" ration - I believe it was about 8oz. a month, so you can imagine how we looked forward to going to the sweet shop for our treats! Time passes so quickly - can't believe it was so long ago! Good luck to you with your project,

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Thanks to everyone for their help. Joankay was right; I did mean candy. I shall try some of the recipes though and see what reaction i get. Watch this space! Marg.

March 30, 2010 Flag

This is an old recipe, but it's kind of fun and different!

Cube bread. Put into large bowl. Add milk and desired amount of sugar. Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving. Each person adds the amount of berries he so chooses.

By Robin from Washington, IA

February 3, 2009 Flag

• 1 Cool Whip (13 oz.)
  • 1 cherry pie filling (2 0oz.)
  • 1 crushed pineapple, drained (20 oz.)
  • 1 can Eagle Brand milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix well. Can be frozen. I do not care for nuts, so I leave the nuts out of this and it is still very yummy!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsApril 18, 2013
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
Coffee and dessert reception.
Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living