Frugal Gardening Tips

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a beautiful and bountiful garden. This is a guide about frugal gardening tips.

A rain barrel hooked up to a down spout.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Garden Organizer Bucket IdeaI have an idea but not the components to make one. So, indulge if you will, my art work. Four gallon square buckets fit inside five gallon round buckets. By putting the square one inside the round one, you have a center place for your potting soil and small spaces for the gardening implements and garden stakes. I am enclosing a picture. The four gallon diameter is 9 15/16 inches and the diameter of the five gallon is 11 inches approximately. You may have to play around with the different sizes, but if you have two at home that you can try out, why not? This would also work with boots in the center and umbrellas around the edges, tall and short dried flowers, or anything you want to keep handy and don't want to dig around for. Hope this helps!

PS: If this isn't practical, please be kind.

By Poor But Proud from Sweet Home, OR

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a flat bottom sled for garden waste. I find it very easy to pull all year round, and it holds tools as well as garden weeds. I put an old dog leash on the sled by using hooks through each end to put through the holes on each side of the sled. Then I just drag it along over my neck and shoulder as I garden.

I have bamboo, so that means I need something that will allow long stems. I have roses and this keeps the thorns contained, until I get my recycling bags ready. It is good for taking plants from the car to the garden as well. It is great for pulling out your recycling bins. All around my most useful garden invention.

By Barbara W. from Ewing, NJ

I hate how dirt gets under my nails when I garden. No matter how hard I try, I couldn't get all the dirt out from under my nails. Then I discovered the dish sprayer from the kitchen sink. A few seconds squirting directly under the nails, and all the dirt is gone. And it feels good.

By Kathleen from Reno, NV

If you normally use a wheelbarrow to move mulch, dirt, compost or weeds, try an old bed sheet instead. Lay the sheet open on the ground and rake or throw the mulch, dirt or weeds onto it then grab three corners and drag the whole bundle to its new location. Lift up one side of the sheet at the new location and pour out the contents.

By Robin from Durango, CO

I have a passion for gardening, but am always frustrated that garden accessories, like good tools, are so expensive. The other day I was planting some herb seeds and trying hard to get out all the small rocks out of the dirt. The more I raked the more I found, but so many just went through the tines of the rake. I thought to myself, "there must be a better way," and then I thought of my plastic cat "pooper scooper". It worked like a charm and I wondered why I had never thought of using it as a garden tool before! So now my seeds can grow without competing with so many little pea shaped stones.

By Maggie from North Springfield, VT

I had just moved in at the beginning of summer last year and found a fabulous deal on flowers! There wasn't a flower bed on my acre! So right over my grass, I laid Eco Friendly roofing paper.

For those of you that love flowers and have a friend or acquaintance that loves fishing, ask them to save the "dirt" that their bait comes in. This can be added to your potting soil to boost its enrichment.

When you go outside to garden and take your cordless or mobile phones with you, pop them into a zip-lock bag to keep them dry and dust free. Zip-lock bags come in lots of sizes, so there's one for each phone.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In tobacco growing areas, when the leaves were harvested by hand, they used to use large burlap sheets to collect and move the leaves. I decided that that was a great idea and do the same thing with old sheets.

Here are some great thrifty gardening tips from Ness, all around thrifty woman extraordinaire!

I use all of my neighbors and my grass clippings to mulch my vegetable garden. I have few weeds, great organic vegetables, save money and time weeding.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Plastic food storage bags make great shoe covers when you're working in the muddy garden. Slip 2 bags over each shoe and secure them with rubber bands around your ankles.

Here in France we buy our croissants, pastries, etc. in lidded "cellophane" boxes. They come in all shapes and sizes, but all are deep and ideal as mini-propagators for seeds and/or cuttings.

I took this picture along with a close up and sent both to my county agricultural agent.

Getting Help With Gardening Issues

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most people haul dirt and plants, etc. in their trunk. Keep it clean by spreading a cheap shower curtain in the car trunk to catch spills and dirt. The shower curtain can be washed.

If you love gardening, but don't want to spend all your savings on keeping everything blooming, this is the book for you. It will tell you everything you need to know about gardening and landscaping beautifully on the cheap.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 28, 2013
Green Gardening Tips
Green Gardening Tips
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 1:02:34 PM on 10.0.2.197 in 427 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.