Frugal Storage Ideas?

We have moved from a big house to a smaller one and have less storage space and less space in general. We have a car port instead of a garage and live in a rainy climate so it's not easy to store much outside. Does anyone have some tips for storing items when you have a limited amount of space or some effective ways to store items outside in a rainy and cold climate? Or, are storage units worth the money? Thanks.

Brainstorm: Frugal Storage Ideas?

I used Rubbermaid-type storage containers for storing Christmas decorations. I had them stacked outside, and during the rain and snow of MI winter, the contents remained dry.Storage units are expensive and inconvenient when you unexpectedly need something.So I would suggest taking the time to organize similar items in appropriately-size plastic storage containers, label them, and put them under your carport, if possible. It would be a good time to simplify and declutter your life by deciding if you really need to keep all that you have from your big house. - Errick (04/03/2001)

Frugal Storage Ideas?

I got bed lifts. I can't remember what they are called exactly but they are very sturdy hard plastic things that go under the posts of a bed and add 6 inches to the storage space under my bed, they were with the back to school dorm room stuff at Walmart. I love them. I got mine last year and I love the space and the height of my "new" bed feels luxurious. I got large storage containers that are the length of the width of my twin bed and I keep holiday decor, gift wrapping supplies and extra linens in them. (07/02/2006)

By meenah

Frugal Storage Ideas?

What about the attic space in your house? I climbed up a ladder into the crawl space in my bedroom closet and was AMAZED at how much space I was wasting up there! I just cut some plyboard to fit through the crawl space hole,and then put them together after I got up into the attic for flooring over the rafters,wow a whole new floor of storage space. Hope this gives you some ideas too. (11/20/2006)

By grammaoftwo

Frugal Storage Ideas?

I too have moved from the big house. There is no usable attic space due to vaulted ceiling. I went to Sam's Club and bought the free standing wire shelving that is 4' wide and 6'high and 6 shelves. This gives floor to ceiling storage for less that $80.00 I got one for almost every room.

Great for storing out of season clothes/blankets/extra pillows/holiday stuff. (03/01/2007)

By Zuni

Frugal Storage Ideas?

Another way to raise your bed is to put the frame on concrete blocks. That is provided you have a carpeted floor. This give you a lot more space under the bed. Better yet, declutter your stuff! (03/01/2007)

By Jonnie

Rocks inside two mason jars.
Cheap Storage Solutions
Shelving composed of multisized cubes and rectangles.
Building Storage Shelves
Recycled Bird Feeder
Recycled Bird Feeder Ideas
A wardrobe for clothing.
Storage Ideas for a House With No Closets
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living