Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

I have a problem with gnats. They attack my fruit that I leave out on the counter. We like our fruit warm.

By Bob from Beaumont, CA

Answers:

Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

I think I would be inclined to keep the bulk of your fruit in the refrigerator; putting out what you would like to eat that day in a sealed container. (You would not want to keep all the fruit in a sealed container or you'll have a mold garden in no time flat.) You might try a good deep bowl, with a fabric "lid" held on with a rubber band. That would allow some air circulation without allowing the buggies in. (06/24/2010)

By Jilson

Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

I agree that fruit at room temp tastes the best. I wash it right away which I think washes the little gnat eggs off. After that I put a cloth dish towel over the bowl. Air can still get in, but it seems to keep the gnats away if there are any left. (06/26/2010)

By Ann

Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

I have found that a great way to get rid of fruit flies and gnats is to put a small dish (I usually use a ramekin dish) and fill with 3-6 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and about 3 drops of dish detergent. The apple cider vinegar smell draws them to the dish, the soap kills them. You may have to fill and empty the dish a lot in the first few days, especially if you have a large number of pests, but it works. Good luck! (06/26/2010)

By Heather P

Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

Remember in a sealed container the gasses the fruit gives off helps to ripen it quicker. Fruit for best eating needs to be refrigerated. At the grocery store they are kept cooler for that reason too. Notice the temp at the store? One of my sons is a grocery store manager, frozen foods, and also part time meat cutter. Chilled atmosphere keeps your your produce at the best selling conditions. It cost more to have open cases for items, something many are trying to remedy. But that is very expensive as well. (06/27/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

Hey everyone, I found a proven method to get rid of gnats, once and for all.

1. Pour ammonia down every one of your drains, and immediately put the stoppers in them, leave them in overnight. Make sure you don't run any water down those drains after you have put in the ammonia. Gnats lay their eggs in the drains of your sinks and tubs.

2. Make sure you don't leave any trash out over night. Take out all garbage every night. Ladies: if you have bathroom trash with any feminine products disposed in there, you "must" take out the trash daily. It's a great idea to buy a garbage can with a lid. Also, if you have garbage in the can, pour a little ammonia over the garbage, this helps. They hate that smell.

3. Do not leave wet towels laying around. They love wetness of any kind. Also, it's a good idea to cover your wet dishes drying in the drain board with a dry bath towel. Remember: Standing water is a no, no!

4. Once you have done these things, go to Home Depot and by a product called EcoSmart flying insect spray. It is safe for kids and pets and uses organic products like peppermint and cinnamon oil. It smells good and it kills the gnats.

**Now, if you have a gnat problem that is really bad, once you have gone through steps 1-4, I suggest using a fogger to kill all the gnats still flying around. This is a good way to kill them quickly. Please be safe when doing this and follow instructions on the fogger to a T.

Hope this helps, it worked for me!!

(07/26/2010)

By Cecegirl