Gas Smell in Car's Trunk

While filling our car with gas the automatic shut-off malfunctioned and we got a few gallons of gasoline all over, with quite a bit of it going into the trunk. That soaked all the liners and pads. I've washed and rinsed everything, but the gas odor is still there. Apparently the sound-deadening pads, along with the adhesive holding them, soaked up more of the gasoline than I could wash out.

I'm looking for a product, dry or liquid, that I can use to clean and/or absorb the rest of the gasoline. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

By Tom from Minneapolis, MN

Answers:

Gas Smell in Car's Trunk

Have you had the fuel line checked to see if there is a leak or maybe you could have spilled some back there in the process? (03/24/2010)

By JeannaSizemore

Gas Smell in Car's Trunk

If this was the fault of the service station I would make them clean it up. (03/27/2010)

By Ann Parker

Gas Smell in Car's Trunk

Perhaps you could try using vinegar and leave the trunk open and in the sun. Cat litter, baking soda and charcoal are supposed to help with odors too. You could also try a full service car wash center -- they may be able to help you get it out or give you some suggestions. Good luck! (03/29/2010)

By kitkatk100

Gas Smell in Car's Trunk
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
🎉
🎄