Getting Rid Of Musty Smell In Washing Machine

How do I get rid of a musty smell in my washing machine?

Julie from Cape Cod, MA

Answers:

I've been using vinegar in my laundry for over a year now, and find my clothes are cleaner and softer and my washing machine seems to be cleaner and odor-free. Just put 1/2 cup to a cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle. You'd think your clothes would come out smelling like salad. But, no hint of vinegar odor can be detected. I don't use fabric softener in the washer or dryer sheets; this is all you need, so it's cheap. (05/20/2008)

By Kentucky Viola

Musty smells are caused from mold. Run your washing machine with hot water and lots of bleach added and it will kill the mold, thus eliminating the musty smell. Blessings. (05/22/2008)

By Sher

Believe it or not a friend was told to use Tang by a manufacturer. She did, and it smells wonderful now. Run it through empty, of course. (05/23/2008)

By daiquiri

Is your washer an HE front loader? Affresh will remove and prevent the build-up of odor causing residues in all brands of HE Washers. Bleach only kills the odor causing bacteria, while Affresh washer cleaner removes the root cause of bad odors. Using surfactant chemistry, Affresh is a slow dissolving, foaming tablet that gets underneath built-up residues, breaks it down into small particles, and then washes the residues away. This product will leave your washer and clothes clean and smelling fresh.

By APWagner

Even if you don't want to add the vinegar to your laundry, you can run through a complete cycle and add a cup to a cup and a half of white vinegar to the water, and that should take care of your "musty" smell. I do this periodically and my machine stays fresh. (05/23/2008)

By bailegirl

Clean like others have suggested and then leave the lid/door ajar when not using it. That dries up the little excess of water all machines have left after washing. I found if I do this, I do not get that smell. If I forget and close it for some reason, then I start getting that odor again. Also, where is your washer located in your house?
(05/23/2008)

By carnation037

I prevent that by leaving the lid open all the time (when it's not doing laundry). When I brought my washer home from a garage sale, it stank, but one load of water-only solved that. (05/23/2008)

By kimhis

I have the same problem and wish I never bought a front loader. My problem is my towels stink. I have spent a small fortune replacing many of them. I have researched this before and found a solution. Run the longest and hottest cycle your machine allows. (sanitary) After the machine fills with the water, push pause and add more hot water (almost to the lower lip of visible drum) and 2 cups of vinegar. Then continue to run the cycle. This cleans the inside drum where softener accumulates and molds. (08/27/2008)

By Maureen

Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
Musty Smell in the Basement
Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
🎄