Getting Rid of Flies

I have a horse next door which creates lots of flies. I use fly bait and they take it. But I also have porch flies which don't take the regular bait and they just stay circling on the porch. Any suggestions?

By pbshepherding from Graham, WA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Flies

I use a window pepper fly trap. The trap will sit on a window sill, or can be stuck to a window with sticky pads. The flies buzz down into the trap and are retained. Once they fall into the pepper they cannot cling to a smooth side of the trap. Then soon die of dehydration. Safe to use, no toxic chemicals, no smells, only pepper smell, and it solves a problem. It also works for yellow jackets/wasps/pantry moths and other insect pests. Obtainable from stirtsystems.com. Hope it solves your problem. Good luck. (06/22/2009)

By dunno

Getting Rid of Flies

One thing I read recently, but have not yet tried. Take a few clear Zip-loc, or similar bags, quarts will probably work, fill them, (nearly), with water, drop in a very shiny penny. Hang these around the corners of your porch, or position them so that they are "around" the porch area. The reason is, flies eyes are nothing like ours, and they see what appears to be a large predator, or a barrier and will not go forward.

Another suggestion was to put some wadded newspaper into a brown paper bag that has been crumpled a bit, then tie, or glue that near where you do not want the flies. They will "see" a hornets nest, and stay away. I think I got this information from-ta-da-Thrifty fun. Hope this works. (06/23/2009)

By LJF

Getting Rid of Flies

Check out Rescue Fly Traps. These things are great. You can get them at Ace Hardware or online at Amazon. They have a strong smell (which is what attracts the flies) so you have to put it off a distance from doorways. But, boy, does it catch flies. (06/23/2009)

By Artlady

Getting Rid of Flies

I used the large Ziploc bag filled with water last year and it never did a thing. Only thing I know that works is fans. We had 4 box fans last year during the 4th of July cook-out and it helped, but not a very great deal. I just brought a large fan from Wal-Mart for $70.00, but you have to hold onto your paper plates and paper cups. I also use Raid Ant and Roach killer spray. (06/23/2009)

By sickandsexy

Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
🎉
🎄