Getting Rid of Gasoline Smell in Car

Category Odors
red fuel can with spilled liquid
The odor of spilled gasoline in your car can be overpowering. This is a guide about getting rid of gasoline smell in car.

If you have spilled some gas in your car's trunk, it can be difficult to eliminate the odor. This is a guide about gas smell in car's trunk.

An empty trunk of a car.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Gasoline odors can be very noxious, especially inside of a car. Since you can't remove your car's carpet it can be tough to remove spilled gasoline. This is a guide about cleaning gasoline from car carpet.

Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I remove gasoline smell from my car's interior?

By Bill from Sonora, CA

Best Answer

Many years ago, my mother-in-law spilled kerosene in her car and her car insurance paid to have the carpet replaced. It doesn't hurt to ask your insurance company. Good luck.

Gasoline spilled in the car. How do I get rid of the smell?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

i had a can of gasoline spill over in the back of my Focus, luckly i had a horse blanket and a plastic table cloth obsorbed up most of the liquid, but some did get on the cover of the wheel mat in the back, i took it out hung on the line and washed several times with dawn soap and sprayed with a water hose till it looked like all the gsasoline was washed away. what can i use to continue to get the smell out. thankyou.

I spilled gas in the front seat of the car. How can I get rid of the smell? I need something more than "open the windows and air it"; that's been done and was not much help. I also put newspaper on the seat and put a heavy rock on top, hoping to absorb the gas, that helped some, but not much. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

By SharonH

Have you tried plain charcoal and leave it in the vehicle for a few days? It works wonders on other odors.

How long does it take usually to soak up all the gas spill and remove its odor?

I have a 94 Mercury Cougar. I spilled gasoline in the trunk of the car. It is making the entire car reeks of the smell. How do I get rid of it?

By Steve from Tacoma, WA