Getting Whites White

Put Cascade dish washing detergent in your white laundry to make the whites their whitest.

By Tammy from Economy, IN

Editor's Note: Most dishwasher detergent contains bleach. Be sure to only try this on clothing that can be bleached. I would recommend using 1 Tbsp. per 1/2 gallon of water and soak the item before washing for best results.

Answers:

Whiter Whites - Tips For Washing White Clothing

My mom puts cascade in every load of laundry. She waits until the washer is filled completely full (because it does contain bleach) and then puts in a cup of the powder cascade. If you have hard water she will add a cup of salt to each load of laundry as well. (08/13/2007)

By Tammy

Don't overdo it with the Cascade. It is very hard on clothes and will shorten their life of use. (08/14/2007)

By pabk

Cold water is only good to stop a stain from actually happening, because if you use hot water it will help bake the stain into the clothing so you can't get it out without bleaching. This is the same with drying, use hot water or cold water if there is already a stain in it. (11/11/2007)

By Somebody

I've heard that you can use vinegar to whiten your white clothes, is this true? Or does the lemon juice work better? (12/29/2007)

By Jennifer Haubrich

Iron Out works (also at places like Home Depot and some grocery stores). Be careful not to put any wash in that has ANY colored embroidery or color to it- fades the color and changes the color, black becomes brown, yellow becomes orange, etc. Ruined quite a many special. Scrub top with it. (03/15/2008)

By Tracy

Mix regular Dawn and rubbing alcohol in equal amounts. Pour into spray bottle. Spray on spots and stains before putting item in washer. Wash as usual. (04/11/2008)

By June

I find that if your washer has a second rinse cycle running it will also help get all the dinge out that the first rinse did not eliminate. I'm going to try the auto dish washing detergent idea though. I find that my whites are getting more and more grey. Thanks. (07/06/2008)

By Gil

For most stains, Avon bubble bath rubbed into the stain really works. (10/07/2008)

By Darlene

My grandma uses Clorox powder, bleach, and hot water soaked overnight. So I just send her my whites, lol. (10/09/2008)

By shells bells

My mother mixed 1 cup laundry detergent, 1/2 cup dish washing powder (generic worked best), and 1/2 cup bleach. Let sit in hot, hot water for 1/2 an hour and then finish wash cycle. She always rinsed 2 times. Worked great on 2nd hand baby items, and my brother's white football jersey. (10/13/2008)

By Tina

I haven't tried it yet, but ever watch the old British women - Clean House or How Clean is Your House? I saw them use Denture Tabs on white lace curtains that had already been soaking in bleach - after they soaked in the denture tabs & warm water for like a minute, you could see the difference, the water was almost black, and again, they soaked in bleach first. (11/13/2008)

By TMTIBBS

White t-shirts hanging on a clothesline.
Getting Your Whites Really White
Stack of white linens with a white flower resting on top
Cleaning Whites Without Bleach
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Bluing
Using Bluing
Distressed woman looking at white towel in laundry room
Whites Aren't White After Washing
🎉
🎄