Saving Leftover Egg Yolks or Whites

Category Eggs
Sometimes recipes call for egg whites and you are left with the yolk or vise versa. Saving the extra yolks or whites for use in another dish later is easy and a great way to reduce food waste. This is a guide about saving leftover egg yolks or whites.

I separate my eggs daily due to dietary constraints and recipe requirements. Storing them properly saves me a lot of time and money.

Egg whites can be kept covered in the fridge for a few days, but if you have several, it's best to freeze them. Pour each egg white into a compartment of your ice cube tray and freeze. When you want to use them, defrost them at room temperature.

Egg yolks dont freeze well and can dry out after a day in the fridge by itself. In an airtight container, cover with a bit of water and place in the fridge. They will keep for 2-3 days. Just drain the water before using.

With all the holiday cooking, there is bound to be some that use only half the egg. I have one now that used only 6 whites. Rather then wasting them or scrambling to make some other recipe, you may save either your white or yolks separately in individual ice cube trays.

Whites are fine as is but you need to add a little sugar OR salt to your yolks before freezing. I use salt since it's used in so many recipes. Then just pop them out and let them defrost when you need them! They keep for at least three months.

Happy Baking!