Uses for Egg Yolks

Category Eggs
Many recipes call for egg whites leaving the yolk behind. This is a guide about uses for eggs yolks.

So, you need two egg whites (instead of costly egg substitutes) but you don't want to throw out the yolks and be wasteful. What do you do? Nuke them! That's right, slip them into the microwave for just a minute and when cooked and cooked, crumble and feed to your pet for an "egg-stra" special (once in a while only) treat!

By Chorseluvr from Alamogordo, NM

I was looking for a treat for my mother cats, who I have at the house. They need to have extra nutrients when they are nursing babies. I found some boiled eggs at the store, in a bag, and I just popped out the yolk and broke it into pieces. They enjoyed eating it and had more energy afterwards.

It is better not to feed egg whites alone, since it contains a substance called avidin which makes biotin unavailable for use in the body. Egg whites are mostly water so they are not missing out on anything.

I have heard that cooking deactivates the avidin, but I cannot be sure, so I always just feed yolks. I am in the midst of finding homes for a large number of kittens, and I will be posting pics of each one, before they go to their new families :)

My DIL eats hard boiled eggs everyday, but only the whites. She used to throw the yolks out until I started collecting them for other uses. I find I can throw extra yolks into deviled eggs, egg salad, and tuna salad, but beyond that, I'm stumped. I'm starting to get a huge collection in my freezer. I hate to waste them, and the dogs won't eat them. Any crazy ideas, anyone? I've thought about leaving them outside for the wild life, but I'm not sure they would eat them either. Thanks in advance!

By Celia

Answers

My mom used to do that too, just eat the whites and toss the yellows. I would suggest using them as fillers in every day meals! I know they make an awesome soup/stew thickener! Mix them into your meatloaf mix, etc!

I would like to know of uses or recipes using boiled egg yolks.

Carolyn from Princeton, WV

Answers

Egg butter

4 tbsp butter
6cooked egg yolks
salt/pepper to taste

cream all together, and use on crackers or as sand wich spread

Egg sandwich spread

4-6 egg yolks
1 can tuna in oil, drauined
2 tbsp mayo
2 tbsp catsup

mix well, and make sandwiches.