Egg Yolks as Treats for Cats

I was looking for a treat for my mother cats, who I have at the house. They need to have extra nutrients when they are nursing babies. I found some boiled eggs at the store, in a bag, and I just popped out the yolk and broke it into pieces. They enjoyed eating it and had more energy afterwards.

It is better not to feed egg whites alone, since it contains a substance called avidin which makes biotin unavailable for use in the body. Egg whites are mostly water so they are not missing out on anything.

I have heard that cooking deactivates the avidin, but I cannot be sure, so I always just feed yolks. I am in the midst of finding homes for a large number of kittens, and I will be posting pics of each one, before they go to their new families :)