Food SafetyFood Tips

Eggs After Their "Sell By" Date

How long do eggs last after the expiration date?

By Sally from Valparaiso, IN

I also agree with moseley3! Thanks so much, I'm going to run now and see how many os my eggs can float!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Check out: stilltasty.com. Great information on most every food item in your kitchen.

When I have eggs nearing the expiration date, I freeze them. Just take them out of the shell and break the yolk, scramble them a little and then freeze. I use a ice cube tray because one cube hole will hold one egg. I freeze them, then pop them out and put in a freezer bag for later. They are still good for baking or scrambled eggs after being frozen.

http://www.stil  tems/index/17144

I can't remember the name of the site, but I read that you can use eggs for a few weeks after sell by date for frying, scrambling and other direct eating, but good up to 4or 5 months for use in baking, cooking, and other things they are mixed into and cooked well. I'm not sure how true this is, but I always do the float test, or break into a bowl and smell it before use if its after the date. like now, I have eggs that say sell by March 22, and its now May 15th and I just made fried egg sandwiches and they were awesome, and I'm fine. The best way is if it smells funny or taste funny before or after you cook it, dont eat it.

4-6 weeks if not left out and have been refrigerated the whole time. You can try to crack one open and smell it, if they are discolored or smelly throw them. But if they look and smell them, they should be OK. But I have also heard 3 weeks. So it's your discretion to be the judge.