Understanding Expiration Dates on Food

Food packagers are required to post expiration dates on their products for the information of the consumer. The date is in many cases a "best by" type of information. Many foods are perfectly safe past this date, but the consumer needs to use their best judgement. This is a guide about understanding expiration dates on food.

When I buy yogurt, sour cream, pre-packaged deli meat, etc, I know they have an expiration date. Sometimes the date may be a month or two away. My question is, once I open sour cream (for example), is it still good till the expiration date or is that date more for purchasing? I don't want to throw away good food but I usually feel like the items are old within a week or so.

Ann

Answers

By Joan in CT (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi Ann,
The expiration dates are for the protection of the public. Stores cannot sell anything past its expire date. Yogurt is something which can be kept far past its expiration date at least a month. I do it all the time and it still tastes great. The expire date has nothing to do with how long the item will be good after opening. Once anything is opened, it only has a certain time amount to be used.

Best Answer

Use your own judgment. You can tell by smelling or tasting if food has gone bad. I have even used mine a week past its expiration date.

And you know how milk stinks if it is bad. I am 77 years old so I know what I am talking about. I have used a lot of foods past the expiration date and I am still kicking.

Best Answer

Expiration dates, best used by or sell by are for the public to know how old the items are. This does not mean that the items are bad or can't be eaten after that date. Just means use your best judgment. We all eat or buy bread past its date. I have eaten yogurt at least two months old. It looked good, smelled fine, and tasted fine and I was fine.

Dmkimbley AT aol.com is correct and has given good advice. Don't be so intimated by those dates. They are just guides to sell the products in a timely manner. Nobody wants to buy food off the shelf that is three years old, that is why it is dated.

By PammyD (Guest Post)

On items such as cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt; I have heard if you store them upside down, that they DO keep longer. I've tried this in the past and it actually works! Hope this helps.

Take care....