Finding the Expiration Date of Hershey's Cocoa

Category Helpful Hints
A cup of cocoa surrounded by cocoa powder.
It can be difficult to tell if your baking supplies are still good from year to year. This is a guide about finding the expiration date of Hershey's cocoa.

I have two cans of Hershey's Cocoa and would like to know where to find the expiration date on them. Thank you.

Doris

Anonymous
Best Answer

Just looked on the back of my Hershey's Cocoa container and it says it's good until April 2010 ... I purchased it in 2007 (I remember because of a life altering experience) and who knows how long it was on the store shelves before that so I am assuming it's good for at least three years if not four ... Something like powdered cocoa is probably fine for even longer as long as it's stored in a cool, dry place ...

If you can't find a date on them I think if you made a couple cups of hot chocolate with milk would be a good taste test ;-) (1 tsp cocoa, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup milk)

Best Answer

If you are referring to baking Hershey's cocoa, there should not be any problem with days IF you keep it dry and in a cupboard. Sunlight and heat will change the looks of the product, don't know if it will change the flavor.

I have Nestle's and it's clearly marked...if you can't find the date...try contacting the company directly...either by phone or website.

My date is good til 2010 and I know I've had it for over a year of so. It's been so long I forgot what I made with it in the first place. :)

Hi, Hershey's Cocoa lasts indefinitely in the pantry. I go through a can every 3 or 4 years. I add it to red sauces to take away bitterness and make hot cocoa with it the old fashioned way.

Here is a link on cocoa shelf life: http://chowhoun  om/topics/421238

If they are sealed cans, you can probably use them long after the date. Check out the contents for wholesomeness, odor, appearance...

I once contacted a yogurt co. about exp. dates and the rep. told me that they can actually be arbitrary. Just 'cause the label says it expires on a certain date, doesn't mean it HAS TO expire on that date. For instance, in the summer, milk does not usually keep until the exp date I have found, but yogurt lasts beyond that date.

Maple syrup for pancakes has an exp date for something like 4 years once opened and kept in the fridge- so you be the judge!

My motto is, "When in doubt, don't!"

Look at the can seams - are they discolored? Dents in the can? Holes in the wrapper? Toss into the trash!

I won't buy chicken that is about to expire because it just doesn't keep that well, but cottage cheese in the winter is a different story.

Anonymous

My experience is that Hershey's Cocoa is immortal, provided the container's lid is tight and it has been stored at moderate temperature. The cocoa in the cup of hot cocoa I am having now is about twenty years old and is as good as the day it was bought.

The coupon on mine expired 1984, just made a cup and it was still good. It was stuck back in cupboard, unopened.

What is the expiration date of a container of Hershey's cocoa powder with the code # 39E1B 3A?

By Joanie

Best Answer

The code 3A could be the date code. 3 being the year and and A being the month. So it could be the cocoa was made in Jan 2003. The 39E1B could be manufacturing information such as plant of manufacture and products used. You could call Hersey Co. at 1-800-468-1714 Mon. to Fri. 9 to 4 EST. and ask them for the date information. I have read not to use cocoa that is over 1 year old. One reason could be the older the product less flavor.