Keeping Track of Food Expiration Dates

Category Storage
Reduce food spoilage by dating your purchases to help maintain a good food rotation system. This page is about keeping track of food expiration dates.

I recently opened a can of mandarin oranges. The smell was fine, but the can had turned a deep gray inside. A quick taste test said it was not edible. It tasted of metal. I looked at the expiration date and they had been in my room mate's pantry for 3.5 years.

Not all cans bulge when they go bad. Sometimes, they quietly go bad and no one is the wiser until they get sick. Check the dates. If you forget to do that, check the inside. It should never ever look like this. For the seasoned cooks out there, this might be old news. But for those just starting out, this is word to the wise.

Poor But Proud.

When I return from grocery shopping, I use a sharpie marker and write the date on the outside of such items as eggs, salad dressings and mayonnaise. That way as my week progresses, I know what is the oldest and what really needs to get used up.

For instance, this week my eggs were dated two weeks old and when I looked in the carton, I had two left from this date. I boiled these two when I prepared dinner. My mayonnaise was getting a little dated also. So I made egg salad sandwiches for lunch.

By Meemaw

When you purchase perishables, it is best to grab from the back if you want a longer expiration date. I am able to keep my milk longer before it could spoil, which works best for our household.

A row of milk cartons with different expiration dates.

Food and Recipes StorageJuly 21, 2013
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Track-of-Food-Expiration-Dates.html