Separating Egg Whites from the Yolk

Category Eggs
Some recipes will call for egg whites only, or for the eggs to be separated. This guide contains many tips and tricks to help whenseparating egg whites from the yolk.

A small empty and washed out plastic bottle is your tool to easily remove the yolk from an egg.

You could also crack eggs into a frying pan and choose to remove the egg yolks in situ. This is what I do as I only like one egg yolk, but use three eggs for my scrambled eggs!

This is so simple. A tip I have only recently discovered.

Source: I saw a short video on a Chinese web page

By Monique from Somerset, UK., Weston-super-Mare

I just had to post this tip. I have seen so many that require the use of plates, bottles or some gadget that has to be cleaned later.

I am going to tell you the absolute best way to separate yolks from whites. You will become a pro at it. You will remember this technique for the rest of your life. You will want to share it with your friends. My only regret is that I don't have a video camera to film this technique for you. (Perhaps the editors would like to try their hand at this and get the action on video).

If you like, you can test my tip right now. (I know you want to). Wash your hands, thoroughly! Break an egg into a small deep bowl. With four fingers slightly spread apart, reach into the bowl and under the yolk. Slightly cup your fingers upwards so that the yolk rests atop your fingers where they join the palm. Now lift your fingers just clear of the white. Next, squeeze your fingers together tightly. This will 'cut' away any white still attached to the yolk.

In your hand is the yolk, separated from the white. Total time required: about ten seconds, less when you master the technique. Now, put the yolk wherever you needed it, rinse your hand and get on with your life!

My recipe for Angel Food Cake calls for 12 egg whites which takes a dozen or more eggs for me, depending on how many yolks I break. After breaking a yolk on the sharp edge of an egg shell, I found it easier to pour the yolk in my hand and let the remainder of the white slip through my fingers.

The last cake I made took only a dozen eggs. I make a lot of Angel Food cakes and I'll be using this method from now on.

If you need to remove a little bit of yolk from egg whites all you have to do is dip a damp paper towel into the whites. The yolk should cling to the paper towel.

By Robin

Sometimes recipes call for egg whites and you are left with the yolk or vise versa. Saving the extra yolks or whites for use in another dish later is easy and a great way to reduce food waste. This is a guide about saving leftover egg yolks or whites.

Saving Leftover Egg Yolks or Whites

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes