Gingerbread Recipes

Category Cakes
Gingerbread
Warm gingerbread fresh from the oven smells and tastes amazing. This page contains gingerbread recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I believe this is an old Watkin's Recipe although I can't say that for sure. My Mother penciled in "Watkins" on her recipe when she wrote it out. Since she used as many Watkins products as she could afford, either she intended to use all Watkins or that's where she got the recipe.

I've been going through all our old cookbooks prior to giving them to my 4 grown children. I'll be 76 my next birthday, and it's time I was "traveling lighter". This recipe is so rich and good, and it brings back so many nice memories of walking up our driveway and being able to smell the aroma of Mother's baking. Sometimes it was as simple as bread pudding or sugar cookies, but very often, it was Gingerbread. I can't remember ever meeting a child who didn't love Gingerbread.

The hot water is one of the most important things and it varies slightly depending on how moist you want your Gingerbread to be. I add about 1/2 cup hot water, but you can add as much as one cup without a problem.

I've seen many Gingerbread recipes which called for hot black coffee instead of boiling water. That's another reason which makes me think it was a Watkins recipe. During WWll, we couldn't always get coffee and the recipe was changed to water. Feel free to use coffee instead if you're making it for grown-ups as it will sometimes make young children a bit hyper.

This is such an old recipe (from the 1930's at least), and there were often times "variations" in amounts to use of several things. Molasses might be a lot thicker at times back then for one thing. With today's products have more and better consistency, we can depend on amounts given in a recipe. I always pay strict attention to flour too, as that will (almost) always have some inconsistency with moisture content. When I make this Gingerbread, if the batter seems to be just too soupy, I'll add a couple of Tbsp. of flour, or if it's too dry, I'll add the whole cup of hot water (or coffee). Trust me. You will know when it feels right. Thank you both again.

Molasses was very often used to add extra iron to a child's diet. It is a naturally occurring mineral found in molasses. The old blackstrap molasses has more, but it's pretty strong-tasting. It was always was given to us in the springtime along with sulphur and cream of tartar tablets to "clean off our liver".

Today, I always use the yellow labeled Grandma's unsulphured molasses and it's wonderful. Grownups might enjoy the more robust flavor of blackstrap molasses though.

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar, add the molasses and egg and mix. Sift the spices and baking soda with the flour. Add flour, ginger, cinnamon, and soda and stir. Add boiling water and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 8 inch square cake pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.

You can double this recipe and make a large Gingerbread to be baked in a 9x13 inch rectangular pan for about 30-35 minutes. Test for doneness.

Servings: 9-12
Time:25 Minutes Preparation Time
30-35 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My Mother's old recipes

By Pookarina/Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Ingredients

• 1 package gingerbread mix
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 tsp. grated orange rind
  • 1 tsp. decaffeinated coffee
  • 1 tsp. mace
  • whipped cream
  • orange sections
  • chopped chocolate, opt.

Directions

Prepare gingerbread according to instructions on package, substituting 1/4 cup orange juice for same quantity of water. Add orange rind, coffee and mace. Bake according to package directions. Serve with whipped cream topped with several orange sections, and, if desired, a sprinkling of chopped chocolate.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ginger
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • Ad
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions

Cream butter and sugar, add the molasses and egg and mix. Add flour, ginger, cinnamon and soda and mix well. Add boiling water, and mix well.

Pour into a greased and floured square cake pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.

I have found the best place to buy molasses is at WalMart. I buy butter, flour, cinnamon, etc. when they are on sale. Butter freezes nicely, just take it out of the freezer the night before to thaw.

Source: I measured the ingredients out last night, then quickly mixed all this morning and baked. Gingerbread makes the house smell so good and is fairly inexpensive to make. This recipe has been a family favorite for many years passed down from my Great Aunt. It is a staple at our house. Enjoy!

By Bobbie Ann from Rockwall

Ingredients

• 2 eggs, separated
  • 1/2 cup lard
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 Tbsp. ginger
  • 1 1/2 cups molasses or sorghum

Directions

Beat egg yolks and lard. Dissolve soda in milk. Add to yolks and lard. Sift flour and ginger, then add. Add molasses. Beat egg whites until stiff and add last. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe for Grandma's Soft Gingerbread. Put butter and molasses over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove and add soda, then beat well. When cool, add milk and well beaten eggs.

I am looking for a recipe for Souper Salads Restaurant's Gingerbread. I have come across the restaurant's Fettuccine Salad recipe but not having any luck with this one. Thanks.

By Barb07 from Boerne, TX

Answers

Could you please share the recipe "Fettucini Salad" with us? Thanks.

Souper Salad Fettuccine Salad

Fettuccine

1/2 C Mayo

1/2 C Frozen Corn

1/4 C Grated Parmesan Cheese

1/2 t. Garlic Powder

1 t. Fresh Cracked Pepper

Salt to taste.

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain. Mix pasta and corn in a bowl. Mix together the mayo, cheese, garlic powder and pepper.

Combine the pasta and the sauce and mix well. Salt to taste. This is best if refrigerated for a couple of hours before serving.

Did you ever find the recipe for souper salads gingerbread? I've been looking for years!

I am looking for a Gingerbread recipe where you boil the molasses at the beginning of the recipe. This was the best gingerbread I ever ate and I have lost the recipe!

Cynthia from Gordonsville, TN

Soft Molasses Gingerbread

1 cup molasses

1 egg

1/3 cup butter

2 cups flour

1 3/4 teaspoons soda

2 teaspoons ginger

1/2 cup sour milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

Put butter and molasses in saucepan and cook until boiling point is reached. Remove from fire, add soda, and beat vigorously. Then add milk, egg well beaten, and remaining ingredients mixed and sifted. Bake fifteen minutes in buttered small tin pans, having pans two-thirds filled with mixture.

Thanks!

Hey - I just found your note. I have an old German recipe, very detailed, which calls for boiling molasses. I never understood why. As a kid that's what we always did with my grandmother. I still don't know why and am wondering if it would taste different if I didn't boil it. So.....if you said it was the best you had. I will continue to boil it. If you are interested in the recipe, please email me.

Does anyone have a good recipe for gingerbread for christmas?

Ann from Blackpool, England

i couldnt find a decent one ann myself even though i searche dthe web and local book shop cookery books so i made a shortbread recipe and added some cocoa to brown it and brown sugar instead of white and dried ginger for flavor and taste finally i broke a million trying to put the ribbon in the hole to hang on the tree i would say put the ribbon or string in the hole then cook it fro 10 minutes watching it so it doesnt catch fire

carol

carol

Try this one!

1 1/4 c. flour

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. each - cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves

1/2 c. each - molasses and water

1/4 c. water

1/4 c. shortening

1/4 c. sugar

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Sift flour with baking powder, salt, baking soda and spices; set aside. Mix molasses and water until well blended; set aside.

BEAT shortening in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Blend in egg. Add flour mixture alternately with the molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour into greased 8-inch square baking pan.

BAKE 35 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 9 squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Got this from Kraft's site - hope it is what you're looking for!