Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using a Hot Glue Gun Tips and Tricks

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Using a Hot Glue Gun

An essential tool for many crafting projects is the glue gun. This is a guide about glue gun tips and tricks.

Solutions: Using a Hot Glue Gun Tips and Tricks

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Freeze Glue Sticks

Get tired of the stringies when using your glue gun? I keep my glue sticks in a plastic shoe box in the freezer. This really reduces the stringies when working on a project.

By auntiepattycakes from Lowell, OR

Tip: Unclogging a Hot Glue Gun While Crafting

Is your hot glue heated, working one minute, but then not coming out, "stuck" in the glue gun? Rotate the glue stick from the solid, sticking-out end a couple times for the hot glue gun to continue working again.

I was making some hair bows today and discovered this was an easier way to get my hot glue gun to work after using it for about 10-15 minutes. Without much success, I first pushed the solid end and squeezed the hot glue gun "trigger" at the same time, but rotating the solid glue stick part proved much easier. The turning of the stick was easier to coordinate since I twisted it, then it was ready to use/squeeze.

I didn't have to do two things at once with the hot glue gun. And I was better able to control the amount of scalding hot glue, which was needed for little dabs and lines of hot glue during my hair-bow-making of lining clips and assembling ribbon into bows.

I've also found that using a Popsicle stick as a sort-of putty knife to apply hot glue can help control the amount of hot glue desired for your use. A toothpick would probably work greatly, too. I hope this helps you and saves you from some hot glue gun burns and frustration.

"The Lord bless you and keep you" Numbers 6:24 NIV

By Erin813 from Seffner, FL

Tip: Q-Tips For Cooling Hot Glue

When working with small projects and a glue gun, I usually keep a jar of water and some Q-tips on my table. When I need to cool the glue down fast, I just dab the glue with the wet Q-tip. It makes it cool and harden really fast. Makes the job go faster and you don't burn your fingers while it cools.

By Barbara from Rothbury, MI

Tip: Remedies for Hot Glue Gun Burns

Hot glue gun burns can be serious burns and extremely painful. Do not be hasty and try to pull the glue off as it will take skin with it! I protect myself each time I use a glue gun by placing a bowl big enough to fit my hand with cold water and ice cubes. Since the hot glue will stick to your hand and continue burning you want to immediately thrust your hand into the ice water. Do not peel the glue off until the pain stops and then do so very carefully. This has saved me many times!

By Pattie from Bridgton, ME

Tip: Getting Rid of Glue Strings from Hot Glue Gun

To get rid of those glue strings when you use a hot glue gun when making a wreath or other craft use a hair dryer on high heat for a few seconds by blowing over the project to make them disappear!

By Patricia

Tip: Hot Glue Without a Glue Gun

If you need to use hot glue for crafts then cut chunks of glue sticks into an old pan and warm on the stove, then dunk things that need to be glued into the glue. Use the pan over and over after glue cools and just reheat. You could also use a mini crock pot. Just be careful not to get burned.

By Melanie

Tip: Glue Gun Pan While Working

When working with my hot glue gun, having to lay it down between steps, but needing to leave it on, I rest it facing into a cake pan, with the glue spout inside the pan, the handle on the outside. This keeps the glue from dripping on anything that may catch fire or be damaged. Most times, when working with hot glue, you have to work fast. Also an easy clean up as once the glue dries you, just peel it off.

By Misty from Hermanville, MS

Tip: Not Getting Burnt When Using a Glue Gun

To avoid getting hot glue on your fingers while using a glue gun, put a Bandaid on each of your finger tips before using the hot glue gun.
It really helps!

By Stephanie

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Using a Hot Glue Gun Tips and Tricks.

Question: Burning Fingers When Using Glue Gun

Can anyone tell me how not to burn myself when using the glue gun? I always stick my finger in to the glue to press down. Thank you!

Marilyn from P. Huron, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine [7]02/21/2008

I use either or an ice pick or a dentist type tool. You can cut off the end to not make it so sharp and then grind it down to make it blunt or you can leave as is. This has always worked really great from me.