Using a Hot Glue Gun

An essential tool for many crafting projects is the glue gun. This is a guide about using a hot glue gun.

September 25, 2016 Flag

If you make a lot of crafts like I do, then you most likely own a hot-glue gun. If so, you are surely familiar with the nasty burns that inevitably come with using one! Hot glue is very painful and continues to burn your skin for several minutes after contact. To minimize the damage, I always keep a bowl of ice-water within easy reach on my work surface. The instant the glue hits my skin, I plunge my finger into the ice water. This stops the burn from causing more damage by curing the glue and instantly cooling the wound. The glue peels off easily and prevents the burn from becoming worse. I never use a hot glue gun without that bowl of ice-water; try it next time you craft- you'll be so glad you did!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

January 3, 2016 Flag

To avoid getting hot glue on your fingers while using a glue gun, put a Bandaid on each of your finger tips before using the hot glue gun.
It really helps!

By Stephanie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

October 15, 2014 Flag

Do you use a glue gun when you craft? If you are looking for a way to catch all of the excess glue that oozes from your glue gun, why not use a pretty plate from Goodwill! There are tons of beautiful plates just looking to be put to use at your local thrifty store. When the plate gets too much glue built up, simply use a razor blade to scrap it off. Happy crafting!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

July 29, 2016 Flag

If you get hot glue where it is not wanted squirt some UN-Du on the dried glue. Use your finger nail or a butter knife to scrape it off. The glue removes easily. It will also work on something that has been washed and dried.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2010 Flag

Is your hot glue heated, working one minute, but then not coming out, "stuck" in the glue gun? Rotate the glue stick from the solid, sticking-out end a couple times for the hot glue gun to continue working again.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 27, 2010 Flag

Get tired of the stringies when using your glue gun? I keep my glue sticks in a plastic shoe box in the freezer. This really reduces the stringies when working on a project.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 1, 2007 Flag

When working with small projects and a glue gun, I usually keep a jar of water and some Q-tips on my table. When I need to cool the glue down fast, I just dab the glue with the wet Q-tip.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 10, 2007 Flag

When working with my hot glue gun, having to lay it down between steps, but needing to leave it on, I rest it facing into a cake pan, with the glue spout inside the pan, the handle on the outside.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 14, 2008 Flag

Hot glue gun burns can be serious burns and extremely painful. Do not be hasty and try to pull the glue off as it will take skin with it! I protect myself each time I use a glue gun by placing a bowl big enough to fit my hand with cold water and ice cubes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2010 Flag

To remove hot glue cleanly from surfaces: Wait until glue has dried, then get a Q-tip and apply alcohol around the edges of the hot glue. It works quickly and easily.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 14, 2004 Flag

If you need to use hot glue for crafts then cut chunks of glue sticks into an old pan and warm on the stove, then dunk things that need to be glued into the glue. Use the pan over and over after glue cools and just reheat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 14, 2005 Flag

To get rid of those glue strings when you use a hot glue gun when making a wreath or other craft use a hair dryer on high heat for a few seconds by blowing over the project to make them disappear!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 12, 2008 Flag

Can anyone tell me how not to burn myself when using the glue gun? I always stick my finger in to the glue to press down. Thank you!

Marilyn from P. Huron, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use the new cooler type of hot glue gun. OR an even better idea for you might be to use that X-2000 type of glue in a tube (sold in craft stores)... It's not as quick drying as hot glue, but BOY-OH-BOY will it stick to ANYTHING & EVERYTHING! Great stuff!

These hot glue guns can be VERY dangerous, I can't tell you how many times I've given myself severe burns with blisters on my hands by trying to hurry to quickly when making Christmas Wreaths!

Slow down, Use care & keep kids away!

I want to thank everyone who sent a answer! I am going to try and glue tonight and I think I will try a little of everine"s answers! Marilyn

I use either or an ice pick or a dentist type tool. You can cut off the end to not make it so sharp and then grind it down to make it blunt or you can leave as is. This has always worked really great from me.

February 17, 2015 Flag

When you're finished using your hot glue gun and there is still glue in the glue stick, what do I do once the gun has cooled down? How do I take this glue stick out and can it be used again if there is some glue left? Does it need throwing away? Thanks.

By Sue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just leave it in. The next time you heat the gun the glue will melt and you can use it. This won't hurt the glue or the gun.

Crafts AdviceSeptember 30, 2012
Beaded Scarf
Making a Beaded Scarf
Canned sweetened milk.
Making Glue With Milk
Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
Cleaning a Glue Gun
Cleaning a Hot Glue Gun
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 8:24:57 AM on 10.0.0.76 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.