Using a Hot Glue Gun

An essential tool for many crafting projects is the glue gun. This is a guide about using a hot glue gun.

September 25, 2016 Flag

If you make a lot of crafts like I do, then you most likely own a hot-glue gun. If so, you are surely familiar with the nasty burns that inevitably come with using one! Hot glue is very painful and continues to burn your skin for several minutes after contact. To minimize the damage, I always keep a bowl of ice-water within easy reach on my work surface. The instant the glue hits my skin, I plunge my finger into the ice water. This stops the burn from causing more damage by curing the glue and instantly cooling the wound. The glue peels off easily and prevents the burn from becoming worse. I never use a hot glue gun without that bowl of ice-water; try it next time you craft- you'll be so glad you did!

I use a glue gun a lot in various crafts. I simply don disposable gloves when I am using the gun. The gloves keep the hot glue off my skin - the gloves don't melt, if you are wondering! I keep a folded wet paper towel on a small plastic plate or lid and use it if the heat gets thru the gloves. A bowl of ice water will work, but I am a clutz and it would probably get knocked over!

You can do so many things with a glue gun and it is very easy to paint and decorate with it.

January 3, 2016 Flag

To avoid getting hot glue on your fingers while using a glue gun, put a Bandaid on each of your finger tips before using the hot glue gun.
It really helps!

By Stephanie

Keep a small bowl of ice water nearby to plunge fingers in. Cools off the glue and the burn in a snap.

I've found puting lotion on my hands before using a hot glue gun prevents me from geting burned so much.

As far as using ice water, I wouldn't suggest it. My mom was a Burn Nurse for almost 20 years and ice or ice water is the worse thing you can put on a burn. Cold can actually burn you as well. It's actually more harmful than doing nothing. If you do get burned, putting cool water on the burn will sooth it.

July 29, 2016 Flag

If you get hot glue where it is not wanted squirt some UN-Du on the dried glue. Use your finger nail or a butter knife to scrape it off. The glue removes easily. It will also work on something that has been washed and dried.

October 15, 2014 Flag

Do you use a glue gun when you craft? If you are looking for a way to catch all of the excess glue that oozes from your glue gun, why not use a pretty plate from Goodwill!

blue and white plate with glue gun resting on it

April 20, 2010 Flag

Is your hot glue heated, working one minute, but then not coming out, "stuck" in the glue gun? Rotate the glue stick from the solid, sticking-out end a couple times for the hot glue gun to continue working again.

September 27, 2010 Flag

Get tired of the stringies when using your glue gun? I keep my glue sticks in a plastic shoe box in the freezer. This really reduces the stringies when working on a project.

June 1, 2007 Flag

When working with small projects and a glue gun, I usually keep a jar of water and some Q-tips on my table. When I need to cool the glue down fast, I just dab the glue with the wet Q-tip.

July 10, 2007 Flag

When working with my hot glue gun, having to lay it down between steps, but needing to leave it on, I rest it facing into a cake pan, with the glue spout inside the pan, the handle on the outside.

March 14, 2008 Flag

Hot glue gun burns can be serious burns and extremely painful. Do not be hasty and try to pull the glue off as it will take skin with it! I protect myself each time I use a glue gun by placing a bowl big enough to fit my hand with cold water and ice cubes.

November 10, 2010 Flag

To remove hot glue cleanly from surfaces: Wait until glue has dried, then get a Q-tip and apply alcohol around the edges of the hot glue. It works quickly and easily.

February 12, 2008 Flag

Can anyone tell me how not to burn myself when using the glue gun? I always stick my finger in to the glue to press down. Thank you!

Marilyn from P. Huron, MI

I want to thank everyone who sent a answer! I am going to try and glue tonight and I think I will try a little of everine"s answers! Marilyn

I use either or an ice pick or a dentist type tool. You can cut off the end to not make it so sharp and then grind it down to make it blunt or you can leave as is. This has always worked really great from me.

December 14, 2004 Flag

If you need to use hot glue for crafts then cut chunks of glue sticks into an old pan and warm on the stove, then dunk things that need to be glued into the glue. Use the pan over and over after glue cools and just reheat.

February 17, 2015 Flag

When you're finished using your hot glue gun and there is still glue in the glue stick, what do I do once the gun has cooled down? How do I take this glue stick out and can it be used again if there is some glue left? Does it need throwing away? Thanks.

By Sue

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just leave it in. The next time you heat the gun the glue will melt and you can use it. This won't hurt the glue or the gun.

September 14, 2005 Flag

To get rid of those glue strings when you use a hot glue gun when making a wreath or other craft use a hair dryer on high heat for a few seconds by blowing over the project to make them disappear!

Crafts AdviceSeptember 30, 2012
Beaded Scarf
Making a Beaded Scarf
Canned sweetened milk.
Making Glue With Milk
Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
Cleaning a Glue Gun
Cleaning a Hot Glue Gun
🎄