Good Plants for Morning Sun

Having a beautiful, successful garden depends on a number of considerations, including selecting the best plants for the sunlight levels in each area. This is a guide about good plants for morning sun.

tulips

Question: Herb and Flower Suggestions for Backyard Patio With Morning Sun

By Kate 1

I am new to this site, looks fantastic. I had a beautiful vegetable and herb garden last summer on an east-facing terrace. I moved to a south-facing ground apartment with a backyard patio, but I don't get that much direct sunlight. I get direct sun in the morning until about 1pm, and then it's indirect for the rest of the afternoon, and shaded in some places. I'm looking for suggestions for herbs (unlikely, I suspect) and flowers that would do well in such a place. Thanks.

By Kate from New York City

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lisa 2 656 Flag

For the shadiest areas, impatiens might do well. On the north side of my house (almost no direct sun, or none at all) I plant lots of impatiens right next to the house, and they thrive. Coleus could add a shot of color. Hosta will do well in shade.

Oh caladiums! A few years back I saw the most striking planting; impatiens around caladiums. I remember it was red & white. I don't remember if it was red caladiums with white impatiens, or white caladiums with red impatiens, but it was beautiful. I did a similar planting that year, maybe I'll do it this year, too!

If I think of any veggies or herbs, I'll come back and post. You might want to check out Dave's Garden.

Best of luck finding the perfect plants for your shady area! I just went looking at plants today. I'm ready to be done with cold weather for a while!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 10, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Blue and pinkish purple morning glory blooms.
Getting Rid of Morning Glory
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Powdery Mildew on Plants
Treating Plants with Powdery Mildew
Leaves Turning Yellow
Plants Leaves Turning Yellow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:00:43 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings