Buying Plants Tips and Tricks

There are several good practices for buying plants, such as keeping receipts for replacements, buying discounted plants, and making sure the plants you choose are the best choice for your garden. This is a page about buying plants tips and tricks.

Buying Plants Tips

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these Buying Plants Tips shared by the ThriftyFun community! Have something to add? Please share!

I was at our local nursery yesterday afternoon, looking for a plant for our backyard. I decided on azaleas, but took photos of others I would eventually like to buy, along with the planting info. I plan to keep these in a file in my email folders so I can refer back to it when I'm ready to plant again.

Take Photos When Visiting Plant  Nursery - plant with orange flowers

With some DIY home improvements going on, I have been wandering the home improvement stores lately. I love to stop by and peek at the plant section.

Thrifty Plant Shopping Tips - same plant in less expensive pot

To choose the most healthy plant of a lot, look under the pot, the roots must be at least beginning to come out of the holes of the pot. Checking the root growth will also help you avoid one of the classic tricks to make you pay more for getting less.

Save receipts when you buy plants at Home Depot. My basil plant died a couple of weeks after I purchased it. Because I saved the receipt, I got a new one. I'm sure other places do this as well.

Save Receipts When Purchasing Plants - small basil plant

Pick out and buy plants that are not yet in bloom. They will flower longer. If you do buy a plant in bloom, pinch off the flowers and buds at planting time to encourage more profuse flowering.

This is a page about buying houseplants. When choosing houseplants, as much research and care in choosing those best suited to your home environment is needed, as when buying garden plants.

young woman kneeling down looking a plants

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page is about buying bedding plants. It is important to keep a few things in mind when purchasing plants for your yard and garden.

Buying Bedding Plants

This is a page about saving money on plants. Plants for your yard and garden can be expensive.

Plants in pots at a nursery.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJuly 6, 2017
🎄
🎉