Saving Money on Plants

The holidays are all done and the pretty poinsettias are put away. My church had decorated the stage area with these beautiful 3 foot high poinsettias. I called my church to ask what they were going to do with them after the celebrations were over. I was told that after January 6, I could take my pick. I hauled off 5 of the wonderful colorful plants and spaced them around my lanai.

What does your church do with the plants/flowers that they decorate the church with?

By soyzicks from Hawaii

13 More Solutions

I entered a tip last year on the thrift of buying drastically reduced violas and pansies at home and garden centers in late fall. They aren't very showy in mid winter, but oh come spring.

Buying Markdown Pansies

While shopping for a fiddle leaf fig plant, we discovered some pots had only one trunk = 1 plant and some had two trunks = essentially that'll be two plants and they were the same price.

Two fiddle leaf fig plants, one with one truck and one with two.

Plants and shrubs for the garden seem to get more expensive every year. I use a little trick when I plant new items. Some plants that are bound together in pots can be separated and you can get two or sometime three plants from one pot.

Save Money on Plants

I buy plants that are marked down at stores that need to be re-potted. This way I get nice plants, but at a bargain price and save the life of a plant.

Rescued Orchid

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The best way to get cheap plants is from fellow gardeners. Ask your neighbor if you can have a start or take a cutting of one of their plants.

A lot of people may not know that viola and the pansy which is derived from the viola, are perennials. In their natural habitat, they will come back year after year. Their natural habitat has a climate much cooler than most parts of the States.

Crate filled with purple and white pansies.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If you are gardening on a tight budget you can rescue plants. I have found that when the gardeners for my apartment complex replaced the bedding plants, there were viable discards, which I nursed back to health. . .

At Lowe's, they reduce their older plants to 10 cents each when new fresher plants come in. Some of these plants were originally $2.99 and $4.99.

With planting season upon us, check with your local nursery to see if they give discounts if you bring back the pots and trays that you have at home from previous purchases (if still in good condition).

If you are purchasing plants or flowers, sometimes if you look carefully you may find more than one plant in a pot. Take your time and find the plant that will best work for you! For a better value, I was able to buy one low priced pot and be able to plant four plants compared to purchasing the plants individually.

Select Plants for Best Value

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This is Mandevilla cuttings being rooted. They root very easily and will root even in a glass of water. I prefer to take 3 to 4 inch firm pieces from the tips of stems and place them in a good rooting medium.

Mandevilla Cuttings

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

This is a page about save money shopping end-of-season plant sales. One easy way to save money on plants it to shop at the end of the season.

Plant Sale

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Tips for saving money on plants as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 24, 2013
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Plants.html