Green Hair After Dyeing

Category Coloring
Your natural hair color and the type and shade of dye used can create surprising results. This is a guide about green hair after dyeing.

My hair was blonde on the bottom and I recently dyed it brown, but the part that was blonde turned green. How can I fix that? Can I just re-dye the green part brown again?

Here is a great article: https://www.lea  when-dyed-brown/

What happened is that blonde hair has no red pigment. Brown has equal parts of red, yellow and blue. The yellow and blue from the brown dye turned your hair green. You have to fix it with a red shade.

Did you recently go in the pool to have your hair turn green? Or it could be your water.

Here are some tips: http://www.tota  ch/p100032/page2

On being use ketchup , interesting.

Good luck!

Anonymous

Chlorinated water can cause this to happen as well.

The part that turned green was fresh hair that didn't take. Try again with a deeper base colour.

I recently dyed my hair golden blonde to a medium natural brown and at the ends it turned green! My natural hair color is the medium natural brown. How do I get rid of the green without dying it again? Please help.

By Coral

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I was a cosmetologist and color was one of my fortes; what has happened here is you chose a brown with an ash base. Additionally if the ends turned green they are extremely damaged or porous, and have grabbed the base color from the hair tint you used. There's nothing that can really be done that would last on your ends to correct the issue, because they won't hold color correctly for long. A temporary fix would be to purchase a reddish color like a light auburn or strawberry blonde or similar in a semi-permanent color like Clairol Jazzing, and color just the ends to neutralize the green. But, because the ends are damaged it will not last as long as it is supposed to, and you will have to do it frequently.

You could also use a permanent color in a medium tone which contains red as well, but that will only make the damage worse. Your best bet outside of seeking a professional stylist would be to use a reconstructor and a moisturizer, trim off as much of the damage as you can, and correct any leftover green with a reddish color at the ends.

Don't worry, the green won't turn red, the green will just be neutralized. Realistically, I wish I could tell you a good trim isn't needed, but in this case since the green took at the ends, that tells me the ends are somewhat beyond a permanent fix. Unless you do not like golden or reddish tones in your hair color, never choose a 'natural', 'neutral', or 'ash' hair color, always get a 'golden' color, or a red undertone like an auburn or something.

A little color theory: red neutralizes green, just as those violet shampoos neutralize yellow in a head of white hair. They cancel one another out. Good luck, and in the future trim more often; doesn't have to be a whole lot of hair trimmed, just often enough to prevent this damage.

If had the same problem but I stripped mine and it turned green. So I've tryed the tomato ketup you put it on the hair that's turned green. Wrap it in cling film leave it on for half and then was it out.

Anonymous

Hey , my hair was recently a medium red color . I wanted to go black ,so I put adore jet black over it and it turned green within a couple days . I used a couple other brands and it wont go black . Help ? How can I get the green out ? I wanted to try blonde , can I do that ? I just gotta get this green out !!!

Anonymous

I can only use vegetable colour as I am allergic to PPD and MEA in hair dyes. I have white hair on my crown and this turned a light green on the second wash after using a brown hair colour with a lot of ash in it. I will take your advice Kat and try the golden chestnut next time.

Thank you

Margaret

Anonymous

The EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! THE EXACT

Anonymous

Cut where it is green

We bleached my daughter's hair blond several months ago and she wanted to go back to a light brown. We used Garnier Nutriesse Light Ash Brown. That was a big mistake! Now her hair is a gray/green. Please help! Does anyone know how we can fix this at home?

Often, if you have chlorine in the water, this can happen. Some beauty shops even have filters to remove the chlorine from their water in the shop. You may need to strip her hair of all color then try it again. Each time you process hair, it damages it, so be sure and condition it well.

Her turned green because blond hair has only blue and yellow tones in it. Brown hair has red, blue and yellow tones. The blond hair only accepted the blue and yellow, which made it turned green. You need to add some red. I would go to a professional.

You need a red based brown to eliminate the green. Garnier Nutrisse carries a nice red/brown line that will probably help a lot. The tones are labeled in the upper right hand corner of the packages.

I recently dyed my hair blonde and the lady that did it messed it up so I just ended up going back to brown. Now I've noticed that my hair is turning green. Is there anything I can do without damaging it more? Please help.

When hair turns green it's usually from chlorine. Have you been swimming in a chlorinated pool?

The best and cheapest way to resolve khaki hair is tomato ketchup ! Just slather it on , leave for a few minutes then rinse , easy and cheap for holidays after using swimming pools , good luck !

I would go back to the hair stylist and complain in a nice way and have her fix it for free.