Fixing Roots After Dyeing Hair

Category Coloring
Root color correction is a constant challenge when dyeing your hair. Whether it is the need to dye them as they grow out or because their did not take the new color the same way as the rest of your hair, they often need special attention. This is a guide about fixing roots after dyeing hair.

I bleached my hair and then dyed it golden brown, but my roots stayed blond and my ends are golden brown. What can I do to repair it?

Best Answer

You need to lift the blond out and apply the darker color. The lower part of your hair is more porous, and accepted the dye. I would go to a beauty school or professional to get it right this time.

Best Answer

It would be helpful to know if there had been any other chemical treatments done to the hair prior to this bleach and tone.

Virgin hair is naturally more porous along the shaft and ends due to age and exposure to the elements. The hair at the scalp is the least porous. However, the body heat from the scalp can cause the bleach to work faster, there. All these things should be taken into consideration. Hair coloring is nor a simple procedure. I'm assuming you did not use a heat cap nor wrap the hair and sit under a hot dryer. I'm also assuming you applied the bleach to the entire head all at once. If you did, the results you got are exactly what would be expected.

If you plan to correct this color yourself, I suggest you enlist the help of a friend.

First, more bleach needs to be applied to the less porous root area. The friend should be able to determine where the blond ends and the golden brown begins. You cannot do this yourself. The bleach should not be allowed to overlap into the golden brown area.

I don't know what type or brand bleach you used. I assume it was a full strength bleach. Do NOT use this same bleach to do your color correction! You could end up with much breakage.

Instead, use a mild oil bleach. It will be more gentle and will work more slowly. This will give you more control over the bleach. Do not use a developer stronger than 20 volume peroxide.

Without seeing the hair, no one could say how long the bleach should remain on the hair. I will estimate one half hour. Then the hair should be thoroughly rinsed (not washed), and then gently towel dried til only slightly damp.

Next, the same golden brown color should be applied to the re bleached area only. If the full development time of the color is 45 minutes, then after the color has been on the re bleached hair for half an hour, it should then be combed through to the shaft and ends for the remaining 15 minutes.

All these suggestions are not concrete. There are variables. For example, you may not need to leave the golden brown on the scalp area for an initial 30 minutes. A professional colorist would periodically towel dry a strand of the hair to see if the developing color at the scalp is approaching that color on the shaft and ends. The color might need to remain at the scalp for as little as 20 minutes and the shaft and ends for an additional 5 minutes.

I wish you luck and a good friend to help.

Add a semi permanent brown to the blond and deep condition.