Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Calla Lilies

These perennial bulbs require some special care to produce exquisite late spring flowers. This guide is about growing calla lilies.

February 14, 2006 Flag

Botanical Name:

Zamtedescjoa

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

spring to early summer; plant tubers in fall if using as houseplants

Height:

18" to 24"

Exposure:

full sun to light shade

Soil:

rich, moist, well-drained soil; tolerates areas too moist for other bulbs

Hardiness:

hardy to frost-free zones; bulbs can be dug up and stored over winter in cooler zones

Bloom Time:

late spring

Flower:

variety of colors

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

Seeds, division in early spring, basil cuttings in summer.

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, bouquets and flower arrangements

Growing Hints:

Calla lilies need to be planted deeply for their size. Plant them at a depth of 4 inches, spacing each bulb 12 inches apart. In cooler zones, start bulbs indoors in late winter and transplant them in the spring when danger of frost has passed. Apply a bulb fertilizer monthly during the active growing season. Calla lilies can also be grown as house plants if placed in a sunny window. Most Calla lilies need a rest period after flowering, so gradually withhold water until the leaves die back and let plants rest for 2 to 3 months before resuming watering to encourage new growth.

Interesting Facts:

Calla lilies are often used in wedding bouquets because their meaning signifies magnificence and beauty.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If calla lilies are planted outdoors, should you leave them in the ground during the winter or bring them inside? I live in Memphis and have frost during the winter.

February 22, 2017 Flag

I have tried to find out the name of this particular calla lily. I have seen some that are close but, not like it. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got it several years ago from Home Depo in a bag that was marked as a mixture of Cally lilies. Was the only one like it. Company was Bulbs dig drop done

This looks like a hybrid Green Goddess with some other variety. It was possibly a one-of-a-kind kind

onestly, it doesn't look like a calla lily. I've never heard of a calla lily with a flower growing inside of it in that way. I also did a lot of googling and came up blank. But it may be some bizarre new hybrid that arose spontaneously or was designed that way.

April 26, 2016 Flag

I ordered calla seeds. I received small bulbs some with shoots. The size is about 1/5" to 1/3". I planted them in a plastic tray each individually and covered with a dome to create a medium for growth. I don't know if I did the right thing. I also put them in a cool dark place. I got them in small plastic bags without instructions. Please help. I am starting a garden and probably need professional help. I live in zone 8.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get the corms (I think) out of the cool dark place and into a pot filled with good soil. Place the pot outside.

https://www.you  ch?v=Gym0td2XjDk

April 1, 2011 Flag

Where I am going to try to plant my calla lily is facing west and gets afternoon sun, but gets morning shade. Is that alright for them?

By Nancy from Citrus Heights, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That should be fine. Callas are the only lilies that will grow in shade.

Yes, thats perfect

April 11, 2010 Flag

Do calla lily bulbs need to be dug up in the winter?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Chelle from Savannah, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also live in central VA--Zone 7 and according to packaging labels the Calla Lilies are not hardy to Zone 7. I did dig mine us the first year (about 10 years ago). What a job!! I decided then that they weren't worth it and I would buy new ones every year. Didn't have to buy new ones because they have come back every year since.

In the fall I cut the old foliage down and just leave it on the bed as an insulation. I have so many now that I am giving them to all our neighbors and relatives. This past winter was one of the coldest in many years. I'll just have to wait & see if they come back. If you live any further north than zone 7 you may need to dig them up or treat them as an annual.

Sandy, Richmond, VA

They make it through Dallas Ft. Worth in Texas.

June 24, 2012 Flag

We recently got a calla lily and it has small droplets on the end of it's leaves. What are they?

By Stan D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In your Calla Lily water is absorbed through the roots and travels up through the plant. Most of the water taken up like this is 'lost' to evaporation. What water is left behind for the plant to use is for tissue growth, etc. The evaporation action works like a pumping station which pulls water (and fertilizer and anything else dissolved in the water) up through the plant. This is how plant tissues function. When a plant grows in very wet conditions, or is watered generously, it absorbs moisture and builds up pressure inside the cell walls. Holes in the leaves are forced open and water may drip giving the appearance that the lily is 'crying'.

May 21, 2014 Flag

I just purchased a calla lily in a 2 quart pot. I put it into a 12 inch pot, but I can not get the lily to stand up after being planted. Some of the lily broke off. I did put water on the roots before planting. Also I put water in the pot after I planted it.

By Paulette H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 2, 2008 Flag

I would like to purchase a calla lily plant for outdoors. I live in zone 6 and do NOT want to have to bring the plant in during the winter. Is there a calla lily plant for my zone that can be left outdoors? How would I protect it from the elements? Thank you.

Jo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Calla Lily's are a tropical plant and many varieties will not survive zone 6 temperatures ... I've had a few for years and simply repot with fresh soil and a larger pot every two years or separate to have more potted plants ... It really isn't that hard, even for an old geezer like me, to bring them in during early Fall and take them back out during late Spring and they give lots of indoor enjoyment and health benefits during the 'house closed up for the Winter months' :-) The years I did leave some of mine out (I also live in zone 6) they died :-( Check with a local nursery (not a mega store nursery) and ask for honest advice so you don't waste your money ...

I live in Northern CA, and we get frost, I have the small calla lilys out in my yard, and they never die!

Just don't plant in the yard, keep in a planter and it won't take over!

April 24, 2010 Flag

I have calla lilies growing outside; what makes the leaves turn yellow?

By Myra from Birmingham, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Too much water.

July 7, 2013 Flag

We have a lot of calla lilies, but few actually flower. What's up with that!

By Doyle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 10, 2013 Flag

Why do the flowers droop over? Do they need to be cut?

By DO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2010 Flag

I would like information on growing a calla lily from a seed pod.

By Margie from South Bend, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

I live in the Deep South and have had Calla lilies for many years that I don't have to dig up in the winter. However, this winter we had several days in a row of freezing weather. I cut back all the damage to the head of the bulb. My questions is: Will the bulbs make new leaves (I already had a lot of green growth) or should I start all over?

By Debbie from Destrehan, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

August 17, 2015 Flag

Photo Description
We have arum lilies in our garden. I love watching them develop into beautiful flowers, but unfortunately, so does my dog. It is quite the nightmare to keep him away from these lilies. ;-) Luckily I managed to snap this pic before he could destroy the flower.

Photo Location
Waverley, Pretoria

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Beautiful picture. Love the close up detail.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

May 15, 2005 Flag

The calla lilies are in full bloom. Mock orange and white rugosas are perfuming the yard. After a rain it is particularly fragrant around here. These calla lilies seem to thrive in moist, rich soil, and full sun. They almost look like a sculpture, inspiration for a glass blower.

Dineen from the Pacific Northwest

Calla Lilies in Bloom

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

This Calla Lilly is so pretty.You did a great job for a dieing plant. I can't get over how good it looks now. You do have a green thumb when reviving plants.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

June 22, 2009 Flag

Here is another one of my Nana's lilies (we both enjoy lilies). This is a calla lily she just tried her hand at planting this year and they seem to be responding well. These too are in full sun, all day, and the soil is very sandy as well. She surround many of her plants with pine straw and it doesn't seem to harm them in any way.

By HICKCHIC3 from North Augusta, SC

Garden: Calla Lilies

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

June 20, 2010 Flag

I have some calla lilies that have some kind of pod inside the flower. I was wondering I can plant those and get more flowers from them? I am new to this and have no idea what to do and my flowers are all full of pods. Please help. I want to grow more especially since those were the ones we used at our daughter's wedding. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you.

Maria

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2010 Flag

I bought a Calla Lily plant a few weeks ago. It's getting yellow and drying up on me. I've kept it indoors, and have been watering it maybe every other day. Should I cut off the stems and leaves now and let the plant regrow on its own? Or should I replant the bulbs with new soil and fertilizer?

By scissors from San Jose, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 25, 2009 Flag

Calla Lilies
Calla Lilies
These are my calla lilies! This was taken three years ago. I used the picture to make my wedding invitations. I did them in black and white on brown paper, it looked antique. The callas are beautiful every year!

By Karen from Bolivar, TN

Answers:

Garden: Calla Lilies

That was a wonderful idea and the callas are beautiful. I have some calla lilies also but they don't grow very well here in NC. It is a little bit too warm for them. But I keep trying! (06/06/2009)

By ncgardener

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 29, 2009 Flag

My father bought me a potted Calla Lilly plant. It had holes in all it's leaves, even the new ones just coming out. Since then, at the base of the stems just above the bulbs/dirt they turn to mush and fall off.

I water it the way I was told to water it and keep it warm and make sure it gets the right amount of sun, but still it seems to be dying. Is there something to do to save it? It is a wedding gift from my dad and I would sure like for it not to die.

By gecko_20002000 from Howell, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsDecember 27, 2012
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Lilies
Growing Lilies in Pots
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 8:46:11 AM on 10.0.1.235 in 920 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.