Growing Cherry Tomatoes

Category Growing Food
Cherry Tomatoes
An abundance of these bite sized treats can be grown on the patio or in the garden. This guide is about growing cherry tomatoes.

With their small fruits and trailing growth habit, cherry tomatoes are ideal candidates for growing in hanging baskets.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

How do I grow cherry tomatoes in a container? I travel by RV and I was wondering if I can grow cherry tomatoes in one of those plastic (20 gallon) containers? Do I have to fertilize often? Your input will be much appreciated.

By araucano from FL

Yes, you can definitely grow tomatoes that way. I would add two things to what everybody said; the plants may still need staking but (obviously) stake differently, outside the container and you can use old, used pantyhose that won't cut into the plant to hold it up. Also, tomatoes do best in acidic soil and the easiest way to get this is to save your used coffee grounds to put right on top of the tomato soil.

Cherry tomatoes can also be grown in hanging baskets. And a couple years back I had some "volunteer" cherry tomato vines appear in my yard from "nowhere" (obviously seeds from tomatoes tossed out, or spread from the horses from feed scraps or some such). They just meandered along the ground minding their own business! I didn't even give them planned watering or any feed of any kind. My oh my, were they delicious! In fact, young son who "didn't like tomatoes at all" would pick them warm from the sun and eat them on the spot!

We have successfully grown cherry tomatoes in 5 gallon pickle pails. I also add bone meal to the soil as all plants seem to do well on bone meal.

My concern, if you RV a lot, is you will likely be moving this plant on and off from your RV. You might consider adding a planting material which doesn't add a lot of weight but will retain moisture, perhaps coconut shell material.

Remember, the growing plant and the growing tomatoes will add more weight to move.

I grew cherry tomatoes in a container with basil last year. They are good companion plants and protect one another from insects.

I have a single cherry tomato plant in a container on my balcony. I was told to purchase a 2nd plant for maximum tomato growth. Is there any truth to this?

By Peggy A

I have never heard of this; and will be anxious to see if someone can show (with reliable references) why this might be. I have grown container tomatoes before with good results having only one.

It seems to me that the main reason for having more than one plant is so that the bees can fly back and forth pollinating the flowers.

I, too, have not heard of this and I've been gardening several decades.

I just bought some cherry tomatoes in pots. They are already full of fruit, but are so low growing that there are no branches really. Does anyone know what kind they are? They almost lay on the soil.