Growing Lupines from Seed

I know lupines are an aggressive flower, but that is what I want for a large area. If I just throw lupine seeds around this area where there is also weeds and some grass, will they take hold and sprout without putting dirt over them? I was thinking of trying this in the spring and just water that area well. It is also very shady.

By Kate

Plant your seed in the fall and they will come up in the spring Lupines are bi-annuals so they will not bloom until the second year. I have a huge bed and they are beautiful. I let mine reseed themselves.

I love these flowers, the look, the fragrance, the colors. I've not tried to grow any (yet) because I've not been at home often enough thru the years to be able to spend much time in my garden (or elsewhere for that matter!). But when traveling to & from our work sites for well over a dozen years now, we see tons of lupine along the roadside and in the fields. For sure, they do not need much care if they grow so profusely in the wild! Good luck. I may check in with you later to see how you handled planting them.

lupine in yard
Growing Lupine
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJuly 24, 2011
sunflower with seeds in foreground
Using a Seed Exchange
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
🎉
🎄