Growing Perennials

Category Perennials
deadheading lilies.
Growing perennials is a rewarding gardening experience, as they continue to come up and provide beautiful color year after year. This is a guide about growing perennials.

If you're new to planting flowers, you might want to plant perennials. They'll bloom every year without you having to replant them. So make the most of your planting time and dollars.

By T.H.

Shasta Daisy And Self Seeding Annuals

An easy perennial to grow and enjoy is the Shasta Daisy. I bought a small plant in a pot at Walmart a couple years ago for about $3.00. It blooms from late spring way into summer. Mine is budding right now and should be blooming in a matter of a few days. It just keeps growing bigger, so can be divided. I believe I can divide mine this fall into 4 new smaller plants. Once it starts to bloom, just remove the spent blossoms when they are no longer pretty.

Many annuals will reseed themselves back, and come back every year. Some examples are Four 'o clocks. They will grow to about 3-4 feet high, and bloom all summer up to frost. You can collect the seeds and plant in other locations, also, but what drops to the ground will grow the next year. They come in various colors. I have "hot pink", but have seen them also in yellow and white. Portulaca is another self seeding annual. It also goes by the name Rose Moss. They spread out to fill in the bed and bloom all summer up to frost. Flower colors may vary, reds and yellows. Yet another is Periwinkle. They are usually white or pink. They are small plants and when they reproduce in the spring, may come in very thick and you can then thin and plant in other locations.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Ask Neighbors And Know Your Zone

Buy and get for free the perennials you see and like from neighbors and friends who are splitting up perennials from their flowerbeds. They can tell you how it grows for them and the water conditions the plant likes and the amount of sun the plant needs each day. You will also get a perennial that will be hardy for your area.

We live in a zone 3 here in southern Manitoba. I hate it when I go to the local Canadian Tire, Walmart, or Home Depot and they are selling zone 5 plants to unsuspecting customers. A new gardener would think that they, themselves, did something wrong when they planted it or watered it wrong, when the perennial does not come up next year, just as I did when I started to garden with perennials years ago. So, know your zone and ask about the perennial before you spend the money on it. How easy it is to grow, is it an invasive perennial, does it require a lot of water or sun, etc.

By valleyrimgirl

Related:

valleyrimgirl

Not only do some retailers sell plants not hardy to your growing zone, many sell plants that for a number of reasons are not suited for your area. Two that come to mind are strawberries and figs. When you see these plants for sale, be sure to check with your local AG agent to determine which varieties do best in your area.

My husband and I have a lot of flower gardens in the summer. I have around 250 day lilies that I have collected, and am still collecting more. As the leaves are falling, we take a leaf blower and pick them up, which chops them. Then, since they are light, we use these as mulch around our day lilies and other plants to winterize them. They protect the roots of the plants and it is cheaper and not as heavy as mulch.

I also have two tulip beds with about 400 tulips in them and we do the same thing. Our other perennials, which are hardy, do not need mulching.

By Lil from Beaver Falls, PA

Sounds beutiful, would love to see some pictures of your beds!!

I was thinking about using my mower,with a bag to pick up the leaves, mulch and put around my plants for winter, but was concerned about the little bit of grass clippings. Would they survive and leave me with a ton of weeds/grass in my flower beds???

I won't let my husband put the grass into the flower beds or gardens as that means more weeds for me. I do not put chemicals in my gardens or yards. He thought he was being helpful, I said see how helpful you are next spring in pulling the weeds out! I don't bed my gardens in the fall, in fact do more of a clean up in them, removing what I want out for the next spring, pitchfork over the soil and make sure to run the garden hose before the last freezes.

Perennials can be used in numerous ways to keep your yard colorful throughout the year. This is a guide about 10 perennials for a variety of uses.

Pink peony flowers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Perennial plants come with so many beautiful colorful flowers and foliage, that they are a joy to use in designing your garden. This is a guide about designing with perennials.

A beautiful landscape design utilizing perennial plants.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Routine maintenance will help your perennial flowers look their best all season long, allowing you to spend more time enjoying your garden, and less time working in it. This is a guide about perennial flower garden maintenance.

Perennial flower garden with beautiful flowers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about, "What is a Perennial?". The plants in your garden can be divided into two main categories, annuals and perennials. Perennials are those plants that will come up or leaf out every spring for at least several years.

perennial asters

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have two large, brick flower beds. What can I plant that will come up every year. I plant every year about Mothers Day! The cost is just too much anymore. I love pretty colors and no work. After twenty years of planting I need help. Thank you for any help!

NanaDebby from Indianapolis, IN

I have good luck with all kind of bulbs, they come back every year, holly hock plants are also very nice. They reseed after they bloom, some do not bloom the first year. They grow tall so you need to put them in the back of the bed. You can search for your question & get lot of info, good luck.

You could plant bulbs this fall. There are so many bulbs to choose from now, if you choose the right ones, you could have blooms through summer.

For instance, crocus, hyacinths, and daffodils are usually the first bloomers in late winter/early spring, with daffodils being the latest to bloom of the three.

Then, of course, there are tulips and others that bloom early spring to late spring. Irises, gladiolas and many more will bloom well into the summer.

And then there are tubers, corms, and root stock that can be planted in the spring, will grow thru the summer, some blooming the first year. But they will die down in winter and come back every year. Two of my favorites are Hostas and Day Lillies. There are also Dahlias, many kinds and sizes of Allium, and just so many more, that will bloom til the first frost. Dahlias you probably would have to dig up and store over winter in your climate.

Perrenials are great, too, and again there are soooo many to choose from.There's also ground cover types, shrubs, climbers, small compact bush types, such as Veronica, and of course dwarf trees.

Just a few suggestions....maybe it'll spark some ideas.

Pat T of Nevada

I live in central Missouri and I absolutely LOVE my Hardy Mums. I have a number of colors and I tend to split them up -- that is transplant a bit of the root to another location in the yard -- every spring. They look dead at end of winter, but the tops just need to be trimmed off. They will be bright green all summer and bloom in the Fall. They require almost no attention at all here in Missouri once they have taken root. I get a whole yard full out of a few plants after a couple of years of splitting them up.

Good Luck!

If you want something that flowers continuously, try buying some "Flower Carpet Roses". I picked some up at the end of a season a few years ago, and they have gone crazy. They bloom all summer and into the fall (I had blooms until October and I'm from Michigan). They are very colorful and don't require much upkeep. I picked up more, but the ones that bloom the most are the pink and the coral. I get so many compliments on these roses!

If you want more information about Flower Carpet Roses, you can check out various websites.

I've copied the information from one website below. I've always picked them up at a local garden store, but you can also order online.

Flower Carpet Roses

For all those gardeners who love roses but have better things to do than spray, prune and fuss, Flower Carpet Roses were created. These low growing landscape roses bloom and bloom and bloom, providing brilliant swaths of color from late spring through fall. They are also some of the most disease resistant rose available anywhere.

Flower Carpet Roses offer lasting color, from bright accents in a section of the landscape, to a long curving border of horticultural technicolor. Equally at home in traditional borders, foundation plantings, along driveways and paths, and even in marginal embanked areas, these easy-care Carpet roses are the solution to dozens of landscaping scenarios. Choose your favorite color and add these beauties to your yard with full confidence that they'll look teriffic all season long. And for many, many seasons to come.

Please note: for reasons that nobody can explain Flower Carpet rose plants tend to vary in size by color each year. Some years the coral will be the largest plants and pink will be smaller, some years the yellow plants will be especially big and the red and white ones smaller. Please don't let this be the deciding factor for rose bushes you'll enjoy for years. All sizes grow quickly and the smaller ones will catch up in just the first season.

Daylillies, daffodils, iris, tall orange lillies, Stargazer lillies, zinnia (grown from seeds), tall sedums (fall color and butterflies), threadleaf coreopsis, shasta daisies, goldstrum rudbekia.

As you can tell I LOVE flowers and especially perennials. The above mentioned flowers are very easy to grow and will last for years. The zinnias are annuals, and you will have to replant from seeds each year, but the seeds are cheap. Be sure to prepare your soil well. Here in Kentucky we have alot of clay that dries like concrete in the summer. I go to the mulch place and get shredded bark (not cedar). I want something that will rot and feed my soil. I use that as a mulch, and then when it decays, I mix it into the soil and add more on top. It's much cheaper and better that buying bags of compost.

I think it depends on what zone of the US you live in. Try a website that sells flowers and there will be a link that shows the zone number of your state.

I live in Houston, TX USA and I think I'm zone 9 or 10 - I never can remember, but the site should show you what will thrive in your particular zone. Good luck!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

We removed the turf from the postage stamps size areas of our lawn next to the house, and put in lots of stone and ground covers. Over the last few years, we have added many perennials along the odd wind chime and bubbler fountain. People driving by almost always look at our yard, especially in the summertime.

Front Yard Perennials

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Looks so nice! you inspire me. I bought my house two years ago, no landscaping, and I feel inadequate for the task, but I can do postage stamp spaces one at a time!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I so much envy you. I just moved into a rental duplex that has a fairly large back yard. No shrubs, plants, or trees of any kind and I've trying to figure out what to do with it because I don't plan on moving for a long, long time. I want shade out there but if I plant a tree I'll be dead by the time it's large enough. LOL I'm 67. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'll plant some flowers but there are a lot of things that are poisonous to my puppy.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

oh those flowers are sooo pretty, made me realize that "yes" this WInter isn't going to last forever..we're under a winter storm watch and suppose to get 6-8 inches of snow ,,here in Indiana..what a "bright " spot in my day you have made..thanks for sharing..

beauty in living..:))))))

Reply Like this photo? Yes

To TRXBetty, Re; Your rental duplex sounds like a nice place in the backyard to put a gazebo or umbrellas and chairs for shade to drink lemonade under, maybe place some stepping stones going to the gazebo,; plant some climbing roses on a fence or arbor, mints like chocolate mint, spearmint, and other herbs and plants or shrubs that are safe for your puppy, a birdbath, a butterfly bath and water dish for your puppy, there are many varieties of plants for your area that you'd enjoy I think, we are never too old to enjoy living a little and besides you are still a spring chicken at 67, so plot and plan your way to a nice backyard retreat - do it a little at a time, you still have many years left to enjoy it I suspect.

Reply Like this photo? Yes