Using Leaves For Mulching Tender Perennials

My husband and I have a lot of flower gardens in the summer. I have around 250 day lilies that I have collected, and am still collecting more. As the leaves are falling, we take a leaf blower and pick them up, which chops them. Then, since they are light, we use these as mulch around our day lilies and other plants to winterize them. They protect the roots of the plants and it is cheaper and not as heavy as mulch.

I also have two tulip beds with about 400 tulips in them and we do the same thing. Our other perennials, which are hardy, do not need mulching.

By Lil from Beaver Falls, PA

Sounds beutiful, would love to see some pictures of your beds!!

I was thinking about using my mower,with a bag to pick up the leaves, mulch and put around my plants for winter, but was concerned about the little bit of grass clippings. Would they survive and leave me with a ton of weeds/grass in my flower beds???

I won't let my husband put the grass into the flower beds or gardens as that means more weeds for me. I do not put chemicals in my gardens or yards. He thought he was being helpful, I said see how helpful you are next spring in pulling the weeds out! I don't bed my gardens in the fall, in fact do more of a clean up in them, removing what I want out for the next spring, pitchfork over the soil and make sure to run the garden hose before the last freezes.