AdviceGardening

Growing a Plant in a Milk Jug

For a project in school, I need to know how much soil I should use to grow a plant in a milk jug. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Please answer quickly because I need to know fast.

It is really a little hard to answer that with so little information. Is this a half gallon milk jug or a gallon milk jug? What kind of plant? Some plants have much deeper roots than others, so they require more soil. Other plants like to be planted shallow and require less soil. Is there more to the assignment than this that we should know?

I would fill the bottom from 1/2 to 3/4 full. Make sure you have drainage holes.

Thank you. I haven't even thought of drainage holes.

You need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help with this project.

Size of milk jug? how much of top will you remove? Gallon jug leaving handle? Will you have drainage holes?

Many types of plants will grow in a container with some good potting soil, correct lighting, drainage (or tenting to contain moisture), and maybe a little fertilizer.

Please return with more information so someone can give you some suggestions.

Depending on how much space the roots need, look at the seed info and if you are growing anything basically anything larger than a sunflower seed, a cup isn't going to cut it- but, you should try getting a long and somewhat wide water bottle that you can cut the top and have light shining through.

honestly, it doesn't really matter. YOu will no doubt not keep it in there for very long. All you care about is that there's enough soil to germinate and to sprout a root for however long your class requires it. After that either you will dispose of the plant or transplant it somewhere more useful for the plant.

As stated below, you must create drainage holes in the bottom and then fill it up at least 4 inches, but I would do at least 6. I assume you have a gallon jug.

Then you have to figure out what kind of seed you have. Some seeds like to be planted on the surface, others require being buried a good inch or 2 under the soil. Then water and sun as needed